Changing top mount bushes/bearings

Plunky

Reaction score
I have done a bit of research into changing the top mounts, only really found a guide on a mkiv R32.
My questions is... as I have coilovers, do i still need to compress the springs to allow enough slack to remove the top mounts? ro could i just wind the coilies right down?
Any other guides out there?

Cheers

Liam

Depends how much preload you have, i would bet if you wound them all the way down you would be ok, as i have done some on springs only and can fit/change the top mount by body weight alone

You usually have to take the strut off, even with coilies mate.
The Damper tube is usually a similar length to the original, however with coilies you shouldnt need spring compressors - which is a bonus.

so i can just wind the coilovers right down and that should take the pressure off?
Also, been looking up techniques on removing the top nut with the allen key fitting inside. some people are using 21mm spark plug sockets, however, i have just tryed testing a 21mm spark plug on the nut and it dosnt fit, however a 22mm normal socket does. can anybody shed any light on this? is it supposed to be 21mm?

i got a socket and ground 2 flats so a spanner would fit it then used allen key through the middle, sorry don`t remember size but 22mm sounds about right