To mod or not to mod...

vetch

A4 Avant
Reaction score
I really don't know what to do!

My S3 will be put back into daily service soon, its only done about 100-200 miles in the last 6 months as Ive been using my daily driver (I put about 6000 miles on the S3 in the first few months of ownership, so I bought another car to keep the miles down). Anyway, Ive come to the conclusion that there's no point owning the S3 unless I'm going to use it.

So, to the point of this post, should I mod the S3, or leave it as it is? I'm not looking for someone to tell me "yes" or "no", as its very subjective, but peoples thoughts on modding, and your reasons for modding/not modding your car are welcomed.

For the record, the suspension has already been pretty much sorted, springs, dampers, adj. tiebars, bushes, top mounts, engine mounts, gearbox mounts, droplinks etc all changed in my ownership. And uprated ARBs will be going on in the next couple of weeks.

If I were to go any further it would be exhaust, 3" DP, FMIC, hybrid turbo, rods, remap and uprated disks and pads. But that little lot could set me back north of £2.5k. Which isnt cheap for an extra 50ish bhp.

I've no idea how long I plan to keep the car, could me months, could be years!

extra 50bhp ? I'm not sure if that is the case.

If I was in your position I would not mod, I'd put the 2.5k towards a newer car. Getting your money back/good money on a prefacelift model is difficult.

If you don't fancy spending that much what about a remap green cotton air filter and a 007 diverter valve with these u should see a 40 bhp increase and better mpg aswel

If you don't fancy spending that much what about a remap green cotton air filter and a 007 diverter valve with these u should see a 40 bhp increase and better mpg aswel

Already remapped mate, courtesy of REVO.

What ARB's you going for stu?

Im going for the Whiteline ARBs Dan, £235 for 20/18mm adjustables. Going for mega thick bars doesnt interest me, the size ratio is more important. And the price of course!

Well for the power it isnt worth the money. But for some its more of a hobby. But for me the furthiest I will go modding an S3 is suspension, pads and discs and stage 1 engine mods. The running costs are bad enough for such a car, no need to make life harder.

if your wanting to keep the miles down (or even concious about the miles it does) then your obviously thinking about when you come to sell it and the money you will get back on it.
on this basis, i would NOT mod it as you will get more back for a un-molested car. Perfect example is alot of members on this forum bash on about how it should be OEM and left alone etc etc. Tho saying that there are also alot of people that like to buy an already modded car. Leaving it un modded will save you money in the future. :)

If used as a daily driver, I'd just stick with what you have in terms of mods, maybe stick the ARBs on since you have your heart set on them. I would have thought a BIG turbo conversion would make the car drink more fuel, and with the amount of mileage you seem to be doing, it doesn't sound like a good idea.

Agree with Jojo. I think it would be fine as it is. Personally unless you go bt or something OR if you are going to keep the car for a very long time I would save the money sell the s3 n spend the money elsewhere.

Stu, lets get her sorted as she is mate and enjoy driving her again. THEN look at what route you want to take

Yes indeedy Mark, that is probably the most sensible thing to do. Incidentally, I'll drop you a PM next week.