My car whistles at me....

Pete20vt

Supermoto Junkie
Reaction score
Since having the car mapped it whistles under load (4th or 5th), well its more like a quick sharp intake of air briefly at a certain boost level, it comes in very quick, and stops very quick too. Its not a spooling sound and it defo dosnt sound right, and i'm having a right nightmare finding it as it dosnt do it while stationary.

I ran the car without an air filter and the whislte lastted longer so i'm thinking airbox/intake issue? Checked all the hoses and everything seems ok.

Anyone else have this or know what it is?

Only mods on the car are K&N panel and Custom-Code map.

Cavitation is turbulent air, where the turbo is trying to draw the air in quicker than the intake can supply it, so the airflow is no longer smooth, but becomes turbulent. Sounds abit like a squeel when the turbo is boosting up. Is quite normal for a remapped car.

I see, i did try it briefly without an air filter at all (just an empty airbox) earlier though so there should have been plenty of air supplied to the turbo?

Cavitation can only occur in liquid though.

Its commonly heard if you run you pas fluid low etc.

I doubt fluid will cause your whistle though mate..
Cavitations air bubbles in fluid, sounds like sucking pea's through a hose pipe.

If youve recently had the remap... That'll be the sound you hear.
4-5th on a hill or under load., Sound like darth vader breathing through a bean can???
If so, its just air turbulence. nothing to worry about.