Worn Steering on S3

martin3310

Reaction score
Hi, when my Audi was serviced last month they noticed slight play in the steering and said it was the rack, I spoke to AmD and they said they have never ever replaced a rack on a golf or S3 and told me it is probrally the tie arms that go onto the rack itself, if any one has had a problem like this before please let me know, Cheers Martin

Hi Martin,

I've been having a load of problems with different Audi dealers over creaking, but also do to with the Track (Tie) rods on the steering, these are the bits that connect the steering rack to the wheels (quite important really).

I was told at my last service that my drivers side track rod was the worst one they has ever seen and non of the mechanics would drive it. also audi have in the service manual to check the track rod ends at ever 20k service to see for play in them, if it is just the ends then it's not that big a deal, in fact even if it's the whole rods then again not a big deal but the cost can be ****** high as you'll need a 4 wheel allignment when they are changed.

hope that was some help, i'll be getting told the passenger side needs doing tomorrow when it's serviced next...

ps, the symptoms should be slight juddering when not accellerating over bumps if its bad... or vibrations trough the steering

yeah i get that in my A3 a bit as well, especially a little 'clunking' sort of feeling in the steering

Hi, job done , my old tie rods were totally worn at only 45000, I fitted the new complete arms yesterday as it was the inner joints that had worn very badly, steering feel is much better now with no nocks or wobble

You need the Adobe Acrobat file viewer installed. Its free from Adobe's website.

BTW, MartinBlackS3, did you need to remove the rack to change the tierods?

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
You need the Adobe Acrobat file viewer installed. Its free from Adobe's website.

[/ QUOTE ]You can change the tierods without removing the rack, it takes about 2 hours tops to do the job

[ QUOTE ]
martin black S3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:

[/ QUOTE ]You can change the tierods without removing the rack, it takes about 2 hours tops to do the job

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats good news. Audi recomend removing the rack, but I got underneath my car and said to myself that it wasn't required. Cheers Martin.

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
[ QUOTE ]
martin black S3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats good news. Audi recomend removing the rack, but I got underneath my car and said to myself that it wasn't required. Cheers Martin.

[/ QUOTE ]When you do un-screw the tie rods from the rack there is a slot cut into the drivers side rack end where you can put another spaner so you are not twisting the rack internals as you un-screw the tie rods , as I found out this slot is only on the drivers side, so do that one first if you are changing both tie rods and leave the gaitor pulled back so you can still get in with that other spanner to stop the rack internals twisting if you are doing the other side as well, I finnished the drivers side first and then had to cut the clips and pull the gaitor back to gain access to the spanner slot again when I noticed there is no slot on the other side and I was not going to just un-screw the tie rods as they are rather tight.

Thanks for the info Martin. I've changed Tie rods before on Golfs etc and there was no room at all to get a spanner on the area you mention.

But after laying under my car for a while (i do this often :)) there is loads more room compared to some of my past cars.

I'll get round to it in a week or so as I've got to replace a leaking crankshaft oil seal first :-( Nice and easy, but still annoying.

[ QUOTE ]
kris_tdi said:
martin, where you at stortford audi on saturday?

[/ QUOTE ]Sorry it wasn't me, I was fitting a gas fire in London that day.

Is there any point in changing the entire rod? By the looks of it on ETKA, the other end that attaches to the rack, is simply screw in, and is non-perishable...

Cheers

Rich

Yes, often the rods do require changing. Its the same design for most of the VW/Audi range.

The rod end closest to the rack is a ball joint so it can move with the suspension travel. The ball wears in its housing and causes play, but the whole rod needs to be swapped to do it.

Perhaps start with the rod ends, but with mine its deffo the inner ball thats worn.

Hmm.. ok... ETKA is sh*t at showing THAT then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

How does the othe ball joint connect to the rack? screw in? hard to make out from teh pics..

Rich

thanks for the help martin, might try changing the other one soon.

rich - it just screws into the rack... I have my old one at home, the guy at the audi garage said it's the worst one he's ever seen, and that was at 45k.

[ QUOTE ]
god_thats_quick said:
rich - it just screws into the rack... I have my old one at home, the guy at the audi garage said it's the worst one he's ever seen, and that was at 45k.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.. Cheers mate!

There is a thread on the end of the inner ball joint that screws into the rack. There are flat parts on the rod inner end to get a spanner on to tighten it all up.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
They are even cheaper from GSF. About £35.

[/ QUOTE ]I would like to see one then!! as I know the manager of my local GSF car parts and they don't do the tie-rods for the S3, trust me I tried them first before the main dealer