Shocks and lowering

mramage

Reaction score
Other than cosmetic, is there any particular reason to fit new springs to the S3 for handling improvement?

I think everyone is agreed that the bilstein dampers make a huge difference to the S3, especially when combined with stronger anti-roll bars.

But what about the springs? Some have said that the shorter sprint dampers won't work with std. springs. Fair enough, but is there an equivalent longer damper?

Primarily here I'm thinking speed bumps and the need to correct the rear camber with adjustable tie-bars. At another £500 for those and springs (+ fitting) I'd like more than a cosmetic difference to justify that cost.

Anyone?

well you would lower the centre of gravity if you lowered the car which in turn should make the car handle better - no?

Not quite sure what you're looking for dude, but Bilstein has the B8 Sprint damper which are the shortened ones, OR you could get the B6 ones which (IIRC) are the same length as std, but with better dampening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Guess I'm looking for a good argument as to why it's worth changing springs (+tie bars). I think Nervus is right that the lowered car is probably a bit better purely by the lower center, but how much? I'd actually rather not have the car lowered, hence it would need a decent handling improvement to justify it.

Sounds like the do a suitable one Drill, thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If there's anyone out there who's just changed the shocks on an S3, let us know what you thought of the results.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Mark
I run my S3 on Koni top adjustable, Eibach springs (30mm lower) and front and rear ARB's from a golf R32, 23mm front and 19 mm rear. I've got neg camber of 1.5 degrees dialed into the front wheels too. The only thing I can tell you is that the car is phenomenal. It's the car it should have been from Audi. The ride is firm but not too harsh and it corners like a go-kart. It's genuinely like driving a different car. Advantage with this is that springs were only £120 and the R32 roll bars are available from vag-parts and only cost about £70 for both. If you do it, it'll be well worth it.
GBH