Just want to know what you guys think of what i bought??

nath-w

Reaction score
Ive just bought a 1999 a3 1.8t, its silver, with black and grey chequered seats. its got full service history, and it drives really smooth and pulls really well! However its done 128k miles!! i thought about it for ages, and i ended up buying it for £1750!! Do you think this is a good buy or was it a bad buy due to mileage??

Mileage is too high man, but if its been well maintained and as you say it pulls well then for the price its ok.

That's good, average mileage for that year. Has it been looked after?

Post up pictures

the only reason the mileage bothers me is that its going to make it harder to sell eventually!!

yeah its been well looked after, theres only a few minor scratches on bodywork, nothing that wont T cut out, and in the service book it was serviced by audi up to 100k miles.

Mileage is not high at all, it doesn't matter even if the car had done 150k, if it's been well cared for thats what matters:) Get some pictures up bud lol

thanks for the posts guys, making me feel a bit better! i will get some pics up, but it needs a clean first! Now i just need to make it look the part, as its standard!! think im going to buy some 18" rs4 alloys, shocks and springs to lower it about 40mm, some sort of headlight upgrade as its got the old two part headlights, where the headlight and indicator are seperate, and maybe a new grille of some sort.

I think thats it unless you guys know of any other upgrades to make it look nicer?

be careful when lowering as the sump can be prone to damage,look at the A3/S3 pics for inspiration :racer:

thanks for that advice vorhees, il make sure i keep that in mind before i lower it!

Mileage too high? What a ridiculous comment. Suspiciously low mileage cars are either clocked or have done lots of short journeys which is far worse for the mechanicals. As for resale value, it was £1750!!! How much do you think you will lose.
If it is still on longlife service, then switch immediately to 10k intervals or at least change the oil every 6-8k in between. Old turbo's do not like the sludgy longlife oil.

to be fair i dont think you've paid trade.....nothing to worry about the mileage..... but the price would be too rich for me on a car of that year with that mileage...theres facelifts going for not much more (couple hundred)

where are all these 2k facelift cars you speak of Tim :p I paid £3400 for mine on 95k a few weeks ago, although it was subtly modded and mint....

they are about mate ;)

when we were looking there were some sub £2500 FL's, ok they werent the best of conditions but i would be steering away from pre's knowing the differences beneath....

im still not happy with Tara's A3 as its a transition FL it hasnt got the new wiper motors installed in later cars like mine, subtle but makes a difference...i still genuinly believe a lot was changed from pre to post

i know of the wiper motor and brake switch for a start..... without having to thin, the overall car is just a whole lot nicer to live with IMO ...whats your thoughts having done the same, pre to post?

mine cost me £2600 good condition with FSH, in black and quite a lot of Audi optionals. had 98k on the clock.

most of the good ones i found were closer to 3k than 2k.

1750 is a bargain!

I myself have only recently bought a pre facelift 1999 S reg with 92,000 full Audi history and i paid £2000 and to be honest it was a lot better car than the 1999 V reg golf i sold for £2500, I prefer the pre facelifts to be honest but i prefer the headlights on the post facelifts can you simply swap them?? at £1750 mate youve got one hell of a car.

The mileage is fine certainly not "high mileage" as some have suggested. The 1.8T engine is very robust IF it has been properly serviced with regular oil changes, as some have said avoid the Audi Long Life servicing and go for the more usual 10,000 mile services and use quality oil. As for the issue of pre or post facelift being better, personally i prefer the pre facelift interior, the centre console on my 1999 S3 have much more of the piano black than a friends facelift S3 does, and to my eyes anyway look classier. Facelift lights are nicer though, and can be retrofitted along with facelift rear lights. Enjoy your new car and keep us posted.

Nige

theres loads of updated stuff from the interior roof handles right down to the seats, lights, wiper motors, engine has upgrades to make it smoother, most FL's have the KO3's...... im in no doubt i much prefer the FL cars, i owned my T plate for 6 years and it felt i was moving into a totally updated car when compared.... pre's tend to have buttons like you would find in Leons, big clunky things....each to their own but id suggest living with both before making your comparison properly

just checked the service history, and has been serviced every 10k miles up to 116k miles, so now its on 128k miles ive just booked it in for a service.

i must admit i do prefer the look of the facelifts, but as someone just said i think its mainly the headlights that i notice. Anyway i have got a 1999 pre facelift and i have a friend who has a 1998 audi a3. However my dash looks slightly different, and i have got the trip computer thing on the speedo which tells me lots of information such as average mpg, and stuff like that, which is what the facelift models have, but my mates 98 doesnt have this it just has a standard looking dash with the standard little square lights! So is mine like in between the pre facelift and facelift model, or is it just because its one of the newest pre facelifts??

Hope you understand that? lol

yep i think the DIS was an option on your car ;)

i had it on my T plate but not all did