Planning S3 purchase - help/advice appreciated !

CJP

Reaction score
First of all Hi guys, lurked for a while and gained some great knowledge - so Cheers!

I have identified a few S3's that I plan on viewing, with one in particular that has caught my eye - hoping for some help/advice on a few issues & questions I have.

Car in question: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...rch/true/radius/60/postcode/eh106uh?logcode=p

Link to dealer's advert in case autotrader link doesn't work : http://www.roslynmotor.co.uk/21558/stock.htm

(if you cba clicking, its a ming blue 2002 S3, chrome pack, what looks like genuine 18" rs4/ttrs wheels, 91k miles)

Main questions I have:

- Price; from browsing 100s of S3's for sale over the past few months, this one seems slighty overpriced to me, considering it doesnt have some of usual extras (CD,Heated Seeats,Bose system). I expect to be paying a premium when buying from a dealer as opposed to a private sale, but what are your thoughts on £7k? I was hoping to pay no more than ~£6k, am I being unreasonable? What range do you think I should aim for when negociating? Would think it should hold value well as I intend to maintain it properly.

- Service history; apparently it has had full audi service history, although the chap over the phone wasn't sure if it has had cambelt/waterpump etc replaced, which im led to believe are the pricey ones, with it being 91kmiles and FSH, should i expect it as a given that these must have been done recently?

- 91k miles, if FSH , I shouldn't be worrying too much about such miles? Intend to perhaps remap in the future, is this a bad idea on an S3 car approaching 100k miles?

- Lastly, any final words of advice for me for when viewing it/test driving it?

There is an older one (pre facelift) more local to me, with a Remap already, not sure if this is a better buy considering its mapped already? http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...rch/true/radius/60/postcode/eh106uh?logcode=p

MUCH appreciated guys, if you can chip in with any help that would be great. Really like the look of this one so hoping to view & purchase this weekend if everything goes well.

Cheers - Chris.

at 90K i would hope the cam belt had been changed, if its got a FSH then the guy should be able to check. And if it hasnt been done then thats a good price hagling point!

Chrome pack? What chrome pack?! Alloy wing mirrors is the only optional exterior trim that's metal in finish, the rest is standard. Looks a clean car, but with very little options, as most of the other stuff is standard equipment, I'd definitely haggle over the price.

If you what my advice i would buy private from an enthusiast that has already spent the money on the usually modifications, i can't be ***** to list them but most people on here list them at the bottom of there posts. Take your time to find the correct car, you will end up saving a lot of money and the inconvenience of losing your car every time you add a modification to it.:icon_thumright:

Looks expensive. Lack of options, higher mileage. It does have CD however?

chris, just bought an s3 210 fash about a month ago from a dealer with 80k immaculate 1 owner from new. I looked like you for a long time, viewed a lot of mingers and took my time. they all look great when on the internet but up close theyre shabby. if you have 7k to spend id be pretty picky! mine cost 6k tho and is on an x plate. (2000). I have just done my cambelt and it cost me 65 notes. cheap when you consider if it goes ur engines gone! if in dought ring audi dealer, quote the reg plate and they will probably be able to tell you if the cam belts been done. id do it anyway just for peace of mind! also i'd personally buy with dealer. most will give you a 12month warranty and your covered. Also buy standard. messed about with engines in my book are bad news, you dont know whats been done or by who. so many remappers make their own cds and arnt really all that for the money! just my thoughts hope it helps.

Last edited:
Really appreciate the responses so far guys, invaluable.
With my more limited knowledge I did feel it was on the high side price wise, guess I have had rose tinted glasses on as it looks so good, albeit on the Internet!

As I'm based in Scotland, the locailty of this one also is an attraction.

Any more comments on price and mileage? Do not intend on spending more than 6k really,maybe more if particularly good turns up!

Again, cheers guys.

Keep your eyes peeled and be patient. Believe me you really want as many extras as possible and that doesn't have any! I know it sounds ailly but think when you come to sell it the more extras it has the easier it'll be to sell on, I was very lucky with mine and no I'll have no problems selling it hopefully if the time comes.

Seems a bit expensive to me, although you can always add 750-1000 more if buying from a dealer. I bought my first s3 2 weeks ago. 2002 Dolphin grey, 82k, fsh (cambelt etc), stage 1 mapped, bose 6 cd changer, parking sensors, black heated leather. Pretty much everything bar satnav.

All for 6900. Quite impressed with that although I had been looking for 3 months. I'd keep looking...

Fran - thanks, I think you are right -more patience is in order, although it is extremely frustrating reading all the good things about the S3, being ready to buy one, but not being able to find the right one to buy! Sell me yours??:)

gman - that does sound a pretty good deal, thanks for the info on what you paid, provides me with a good benchmark!

The search continues... :banghead:

LOL well don't give up. I'd say set a bench mark for what you want. Personally I don't think the S3 is worth owning without heated seats, alum door mirrors, and the full BOSE setup. But that's my personal opinion. I also have parking sensors which are so blinking usefull and a sunroof as an added bonus. It also Sat Nav but I ripped it out as it was pathetic! (great at the time I'm sure but compared to TomTom it was utterly pants)

I'd also recommend you think about the interior. The most common colour is full black leather but I always wanted the cream leather after seeing it on another S3. Bear in mind the colour of the seats will also be reflected in the colour of the door cards in the front and rear side panels in the rear which is a nice touch.

Also their are two types of finishes, the full leather effect which I have or alacantra which is a more softer feel with leather as well on certain parts of the seat. It grips you in more and is a different style and feel altogether. I'd suggest you sit in both before deciding as you may prefer one to the other. You can tell if a S3 has a alcantra finish as the seats are in either black and cream or black and blue I believe.... If the seats are all one colour it's in full leather which is bit more slidey.

Last edited:
well I bought mine, only things wrong was airbag light and tiny mark on rear arch. Its a 2001 AMK, with 92k and bose, ming blue, with alacantara, cost me 5700.

You would be surprised how low some people will to sell it, price wise that is. Most people add a good 200-400 on to what they want at least. Go view a car, offer what you willing to pay making it known you would provide a hassle free sale. Dont be sucked in, as its so easy to be when buying another car and hold your ground. Good Luck!

Chris, on the Scottish locality side of things, you are actually in a better position than most. When I was looking I saw no less than five that I would have bought, save for the issue of 5 hours of travel each way. They seem to come up in that area and not get moved on quickly (less demand/distance for the Englishers to travel!).

Keep looking matey. You'll regret it otherwise.

Cheers again guys.

Think I might make the trip through to see the car this weekend, never know - dealer may be willing to knock off £1k or two :)
There is a possibility it may have the other extras (cd/bose/heated seats) anyway, dealer didn't seem too clued up tbh.

On a side note, never seen a nicer one in red than above, wow.