problem with gear stick!!!

nath-w

Reaction score
just bought a 99 a3. when the gearstick is in neutral it doesnt spring itself back to the centre. so if i push it to the left it will stay there, and the same when i push it to the right!, its just a bit annoying when changing gear! does anyone know what it could be, and is it an easy fix!!

I'm having the same problem with mine, been searching the forum to find an answer but cant seem to find anything

So is there no one who knows what the problem here is? ive tried greasing up all joints on shifter, but this hasnt achieved anything, so now im all out of ideas?

Where are the joints to grease up? What grease did you use? Maybe mine could do with some as it's a little tough to shift occasionly.

i just greased up all the joints that are on top of the gearbox, as most of these will move when you move the gearstick. i just used some standard high velocity grease. To be honest though it didnt make much difference! Just a quick thought, does anyone know if there is some sort of ball joint at the bottom of gearstick that is accessible by removing the gaiter, as i could try lubing this up to see if it makes a difference??

do you know where abouts i should be looking, for things like springs. will these be underneath the car?

if you take the gear gater off and on the left hand side is a black spring witch you will see when you move gear stick left to right it has come off the white clip just use your finger to pull it back up and all will be ok if you need any help call me 07508933451 :thumbsup: