How to turn off ESP

S3 D2HTY

Reaction score
In my S3 manual it says i should have a button on the dash for the ESP to turn in on and off but i dont seem to have this?

I have got a 2000 210bhp model?

Martin

If there's no button you don't have ESP ;)

in my opinion s3's don't need ESP. I turn mine off every time I get in the car.

Not pressed that button yet (only had car 3 weeks) but think i will have to have a play...

Ive had mine since saturday and turned it of for the drive home from college today....different car
am going to look at an making a cicuit with an inverted not gate (4049) and try have it switched off when i start up and on when i press the button, will update and let you know how i get on

Ive had mine since saturday and turned it of for the drive home from college today....different car
am going to look at an making a cicuit with an inverted not gate (4049) and try have it switched off when i start up and on when i press the button, will update and let you know how i get on

:ninja::ninja:

best way to discover how it drives better is to find a quiet roundabout and go round it quickly with esp on and you will feel the car bog down, now do the same with it off and the car feels alive and quicker.

yeah, it bogs down when you start losing grip, at least mine does, its a handy tool, definately wouldnt advise switching it off all the time at it might get you unstuck someday

I hate the ESP big time. I have to turn it off every morning due to the uneven driveway into work. Basically the driveway is so uneven I have to cut the corner to avoid scraping my bumper on the road, this in turn sends the wheel speed sensors into a spaz because one side of the car ih higher than the other. If the ESP is on my car thinks i'm in a skid and cuts the power leaving me limping up the driveway! :shrug:

Get in car. Put seat belt on. Turn off the crap that the misses insists on having on the radio. Start car. Turn ESP off.

Done.

Vagcom might be able to turn it off permanently! Now there's a thought with the new suspension setup and re-map i've just had.

I'll give it a go!

G

Vagcom might be able to turn it off permanently! Now there's a thought with the new suspension setup and re-map i've just had.

I'll give it a go!

G

I had this thought a while ago and posted it in the VCDS board but nobody knew if it was possible. I've checked through the label files and cant see anything that will allow you to do it.

HAve a look though mate and let us know if you find anything.

I turned mine off the other day when it was raining. i finished work at 9pm and thought i'd have a bit of 'fun' driving home...

Seems to me like the back likes stepping out quite a lot on corners and roundabouts!

It worried me a bit so i turned it back on and drove home safely. lol.

If i'm honest i'm a little bit disappointed in the Quattro system : /

Does anyone know what ratio the Haldex puts the power into? as in 60/40 rear/front etc.

I turned mine off the other day when it was raining. i finished work at 9pm and thought i'd have a bit of 'fun' driving home...

Seems to me like the back likes stepping out quite a lot on corners and roundabouts!

It worried me a bit so i turned it back on and drove home safely. lol.

If i'm honest i'm a little bit disappointed in the Quattro system : /

Does anyone know what ratio the Haldex puts the power into? as in 60/40 rear/front etc.

Part time / "on-demand" / lazy

The fact that i put my foot down and hit a corner and the rear end tried to overtake me :S

well ****** audi sideways, they built a car with >200bhp that requires driver input to drive quickly.

there are safer cars out there, pensioners etc normally like micras and corsas

No need for sarcasm pal.

The fact the Quattro 4wd system, infact most if not all 4wd systems are in place to stop this happening seems odd that you show it a bit of open throttle on a bend and it seems to want to drift the corner rather than pull you round it. I'm capable of driving it this way i'm just saying i'm a bit disappointed at the fact it doesnt seem give me the aid in cornering that i expected. Maybe i expected too much :S

take it it's not 50/50 on demand then ??

sounds like you were expecting infinity grip or playstation 3. im not questioning your sexuality or driving ability, so dont get offended. maybe youd be happier with fwd?

the system is fwd at default and can direct power to the rear wheels depending on numerous parameters, namely the wheel speed sensors (ie detecting slip)

i cant remember what the most power it can send to the rear is, but im suprised your car went sideways. maybe there are deeper routed mechanical issues

Lol now now...handbags away lads!

As for the car stepping out and oversteering, it's easy to do this given the right conditions, i've had mine do it when it was stock and I was driving it a bit harder than usual.

Haldex also works off throttle position, as well as wheel speed sensors, longitudinal/latitudinal sensors as far as i'm aware.

It would be more like 60 rear 40 front under heavy acceleration.

G

PS...the modified haldex unit would be more agressive at power delivery and gives a more neutral balance while driving faster.

G

Guess every forum has a **** head.

Matt's harmless when you ignore the tripe. Sometimes he has good points to make and something to add to the forum.

Mine stepped out the first time I swtiched off the ESP. But by a tiny amount in the wet going round a muddy corner (being rebuilt so temporary tarmac with mud from the plant equipment). However, in normal driving conditions it really does make a difference.

tripe is very nutritious. mmmm tripe

if more people bothered to post in the S4 section i wouldnt have to post in here at all

open throttle on a bend and it seems to want to drift the corner rather than pull you round it.

That shouldn't happen, if as you say, you had the throttle down sending power to all four wheels (50% F/R with the haldex system). The S3 is a nose heavy car as standard and the safe handling should see it neutralise into understeer if cornering too quickly, certainly not oversteer.

Couple of scenarios where you might expect to see what you explained:

1. Lift off oversteer. You take your foot off the throttle at the entrance/part way around the corner, the rear will come around. This is basic physics not helped by the Haldex which doesn't operate unless you have your foot on the throttle.

2. Your rear tyres are worn. I had this issue, replaced tyres, all sorted now. Also worth checking suspension and bushes.

3. Slippery road surface causing oversteer. But one would expect the front to wash away into understeer way before having a sniff of oversteer.

Your car simply shouldn't do that. I would check the main things first, tyres for wear and pressure, bushes etc. The Haldex unit will push 50% of the power to the rear axle when needed, no more than this. Next time it's wet find a large open space and drive around in a circle, slowly gathering speed. If all is well then the front should start pushing wide way before the rear.

If you find the car is oversteering before understeering, you have an issue. And I want your car.

If you find the car is oversteering before understeering, you have an issue. And I want your car.
exactly. what he said is not typical behaviour (ie for it to power oversteer... its not a beemer)