Pricing on sorting front end (possibilities)

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals.

Having spoken to Awesome GTI, I am going to go over, just to give the car a check over after hitting a pothole and having slightly vague steering feeling.

What sort of pricing should I expect for the following (and please add to the list if you think it should be considered);

Track rod ends
Wishbone bushes
ARBs/bushes
Top mounts

Can I fit any of the above myself? Would you upgrade to Polyflex stuff?

If ARBs/Shocks/springs are the issue I will no doubt just upgrade.

Many thanks

If going all out, consider bottom ball joints as well.

Not sure on prices mate to be honest - I always get things trade and fit them myself.

ARB bushes are a pig, especially drivers side, and all the other things will require tracking after being fitted, with the exception of top mounts.

Depends if you fancy a day getting dirty - none of them are particularly hard to do - although you will need a vice or press for the wishbone bushes.

I'm not that mechanically minded, but have a good sense of the way things should work, if that makes sense! So could do it myself I guess.

Any ideas on parts prices chap? How's the car?

i wouldnt personally go for anything but OEM regards bushes mate, not since i fitted the poly dogbone.....it takes the comfort away no end :(

that said many have gone for them so might be worth getting a second opinion :thumbsup:

How's the car?

Dented. :(. Can't believe that, what a pen 15. LOL. Still, got to maintain my sense of humour!!

To be fair mate, what I tend to do when I have an issue is buy cheap parts from ebay for testing. That way, you can fit them and see if they fix it. Then when they break in 10 mins you buy good parts to replace.

Ball joints: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-S3-QUATT...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ad345c3b3

Track rod end: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-S3-QUATT...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2551df5b6a

Top Mounts: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-S3-TT...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1178f10d

Wishbone bushes (Rear): http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/A...23d5d1e35fbf32cddf7909f337a2682c338a582b&FLXM

ARB Bushes are cheapest from Audi direct at about £2 each.

Appreciate that above and sounds like a great plan to be honest. Shame I'm not near you and Badger/Bill etc. Would be good to bob over and chat/talk me through it. Quite happy to pull the Clio apart on my own, but more for panels than mechanics!

all depends what you want mate....... im 31 this year so liking my comfort ever more increasingly :)

Awwwwww, the bones starting to creak mate? LOL. I'm just as bad these days, I cannot abide loud exhausts any more! Which makes me sad. :(

Appreciate that above and sounds like a great plan to be honest. Shame I'm not near you and Badger/Bill etc. Would be good to bob over and chat/talk me through it. Quite happy to pull the Clio apart on my own, but more for panels than mechanics!

Thats OK dude, no worries. I've always done that - it's cheaper when using the 'process of elimination' fault finding technique.

A lot of places will replace the wishbones rather than the bushes these days, front ARB is a pain in the **** job, its not always the bushes that fail on these rather the coller that the bush butts upto, and if the arb requires changing go for uprated items, wish i had when i replaced mine although funding prevented.

jd, i payed £50 for both wishbones, both had the lower ball joint with it. (euros) Track rod ends were £7 per side (euros) ARB bushes i got powerflex polys, they were not that cheap. and top mounts were from GSF they were less than £20 for both sides.

A lot of places will replace the wishbones rather than the bushes these days, front ARB is a pain in the **** job, its not always the bushes that fail on these rather the coller that the bush butts upto, and if the arb requires changing go for uprated items, wish i had when i replaced mine although funding prevented.

Appreciate the advice. If parts that I intend on upgrading (ARBs, Shocks, Springs) need replacing, I will be going down the uprated side of things.

jd, i payed £50 for both wishbones, both had the lower ball joint with it. (euros) Track rod ends were £7 per side (euros) ARB bushes i got powerflex polys, they were not that cheap. and top mounts were from GSF they were less than £20 for both sides.

Spot on that lad, thanks! Have spoken to both major local VAG firms and will be going to at least get it checked out as need the tracking done at some point. Based on their findings, quotes are in order. This will make me decide on DIY or for the fag of it getting them to do it.

Appreciate the advice. If parts that I intend on upgrading (ARBs, Shocks, Springs) need replacing, I will be going down the uprated side of things.

Spot on that lad, thanks! Have spoken to both major local VAG firms and will be going to at least get it checked out as need the tracking done at some point. Based on their findings, quotes are in order. This will make me decide on DIY or for the fag of it getting them to do it.

S3 wishbones are more expensive than A3 wishbones - S3 ones are forged metal.

i wouldnt personally go for anything but OEM regards bushes mate, not since i fitted the poly dogbone.....it takes the comfort away no end :(

that said many have gone for them so might be worth getting a second opinion :thumbsup:

Dude, I'm surprised your not liking the dogbone upgrade. Did you use the poweflex one?

I noticed some slight vibration in the steering wheel but nothing major.

Don't rule out a buckled wheel.....

Cheers chap but that would be constant, getting worse at certain speeds. I have had one before and it was very very clear. Appreciate the input though :thumbsup:

Awesome GTI are,... well, Awesome!

Had a very large amount of parts with a hefty load of work carried out at Awesome recently, very good service and the drive of my car afterwards is amazing. I can't recommend them enough.

I have comp brake race top mounts fitted along with the fantastic B8, H&R setup with Neuspeed ARB's and Poly bushes. The car is now as it should have been. New, tight and a joy to drive. With the re-map it makes for a quick car point to point.

I too have the dogbone poly fitted and it's far better than the sloppy stock one. Surprised people don't like it.

G

Appreciate that chap. Awesome is actually closer than JBS so might have to bend to them for servicing ease, but JBS still have a better remap offer :)

has anyone mentioned castor yet?

hit the front hard enough like that and you can shift the subframe back and reduce the castor making the steering lighter/even further devoid of feel than standard

Great shout Matt, but this is only over crumbled road. Rest of the time (drive to work this morning included) it's fine. It is not something that is majorly noticeable but does need sorting I feel.

Even over large speedbumps I can't feel it.

so have you got prices yet ? i have emailed Jabba asking for quotes on most of this stuff however no response which i m quite used to.

JD.
I seem to have a similar steering knock to what you described.
Today i had a play with the adjustable steering column, and its become lesser... I cant get it stationary now, only when driving over ruff surfaces.
Im going to take the lower cover down see if anythings lube-able, or worked loose when i get time.

Ok so here's an interesting update. The car pulls quite sizeably to one side from standing start on full power. . . Pull out of a sideroad earlier and it really veered to one side. Suspension??

Check out the rear wishbone bush on the side it pulls to buddy.

Also youve got PM.

Will do lad, cheers.

Just replied pal, been away over the weekend in Birmingham.