Large Port A3T Head on an S3

StephenBogan

Reaction score
I have read on here a few times about the AGU head off the 150 1.8T having a much better flowing head due to the larger ports. Would this not be an excellent mod for S3 owners??

Question is, why didn't they put this on in the first place?? I'm confused!

Stevie

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
I have read on here a few times about the AGU head off the 150 1.8T having a much better flowing head due to the larger ports. Would this not be an excellent mod for S3 owners??

Question is, why didn't they put this on in the first place?? I'm confused!

Stevie

[/ QUOTE ]

S3's have VVT.. which uses a differnt head than the AGU. hence the change! You can fit the head to the car, but would require a remap to 'code' out the VVT bit... The upside is that you an run less boost for the same power! my 1.2 bar compared to wilkos 1.5bar on the IHI and the power outputs are very close indeed!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Ryanc said:
do all s3's have vvt?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong there...

im not sure,

i was led to believe early ones were oil pressure driven and mechanical.

but 225's were electrical driven solenoid thats on the RHS of engine as you look from the bonnet..

something to do with the torque delivery i was told. and the torque did change slightly between the 210/225 lumps

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
Later S3's were VVT, earlier ones wern't.

Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich, I'm sure Paul is right in that all S3's have VVT, but were mechanical operated in 210 versions, and changed to solenoid for 225 versions... I remember reading a post on it sometime ago...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought early S3's (APY) didn't have VVT?

When I was enquiring about the Jabbasport kit for my S3 they asked for the year of manufacture to check it had vvt so that would suggest that earlier S3s did not have it

I'm looking into fitting an large port non VVT head onto my VVT golf. Should have a brand new large port head in my hands end of the month.
The plan is to fit the cams and vvt gear from my head to the large port one. The VVT cams have higher lift and longer duration (i've been told), so it should be the best setup.
To the original question though. No 210/225 engines have had a large port head. The problems you will have is that all the cars that have (golf, a3) have the intake manifold handed the other way, and this has larger runners to match the ports.
One option is to buy a dahlback manifold as they will supply them in any combination of handing and port size.

Rich. Fancy a trip to JBS on sunday. 4 IHI cars there already, and I'm sure 1 more would be welcome. It'd be interesting for comparisons sake, as I reckon my cars dragging 100kg's more than yours around. 2 extras doors, sunroof, seat airbags, climate, third centre belt with seat strengthening, and all that other crap that I don't need.

[ QUOTE ]
GolfTTish said:
I'm looking into fitting an large port non VVT head onto my VVT golf. Should have a brand new large port head in my hands end of the month.
The plan is to fit the cams and vvt gear from my head to the large port one. The VVT cams have higher lift and longer duration (i've been told), so it should be the best setup.
To the original question though. No 210/225 engines have had a large port head. The problems you will have is that all the cars that have (golf, a3) have the intake manifold handed the other way, and this has larger runners to match the ports.
One option is to buy a dahlback manifold as they will supply them in any combination of handing and port size.

Rich. Fancy a trip to JBS on sunday. 4 IHI cars there already, and I'm sure 1 more would be welcome. It'd be interesting for comparisons sake, as I reckon my cars dragging 100kg's more than yours around. 2 extras doors, sunroof, seat airbags, climate, third centre belt with seat strengthening, and all that other crap that I don't need.

[/ QUOTE ]

John,

Will see what im upto on sunday...Might have other arrangements already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif If not i will be there! As for the 100kgs, whats the dry weight of your car? Mine is 1246kg. has seat side airbags and all the other bits you mention other than the 2 doors and sun roof... On the AmD day i was also carrying my weekends luggage, BIG sub box .etc.

On the Dahlback front, I will have mor info for everyone hopefully by the end of the week! Speaking to Mr Dahlback himself last on this week!

Rich

Cool. Hope to see you sunday.
Had mine weighed at over 1300kg's without me (fat bloke)

Seen this on VW Vortex its a spreadsheet of engine codes and some info on each, it refers also to the APY code having no VVT

That IHI badge you have made looks good! It will have the saxo boys scratching their heads!

The subaru guys don't get to see it for long enough to read it. Keeps the 911 guys guessing though

not this 1, ill stay well clear if i see you to save my /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
GolfTTish said:
The subaru guys don't get to see it for long enough to read it. Keeps the 911 guys guessing though

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly does! Was having some fun on the A40 with a 996 C4S... he over took the car in front as did i and we kept going... Found myself having to ease off! At the next set of traffic lights i saw him moving his rear view mirror to see what it was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

just to add that the 7/1999 brochure for the s3 quote the engine as having variable valve timing,so i guess they all have it.

According to the list that Andy bS3 supplied S3's built between 11/98-08/00(APY) are non VVT, built between 09/00-04/02(AMK) is left blank?? and built between 08/01-05/02(BAM) is definitely VVT 225 bhp and has a forged crank shaft... doesn't really make sense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Does anyone know for sure? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif