S3 vs Imprezza

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdas03

Reaction score
A friend of mine has just bought a Subura Imprezza, its a P plate 2.0 turbo.

Went in it last night and it was pretty rapid.
Unfortunately i haven't had a chance to compare it to the S3 side by side by i fear it will be faster...
They obviously be well matched both with the 4wd transmission losses.
But in the real world how will it compare? i want to be sure before we both head out in our cars lol

Any thoughts?

Depends on

What you have done to your S3
If you know how to get the best from your car (balls to the gearbox)
What has been done to the Scooby

The scobby is in a different league, S4 class. So if you lost, won't be as gutting as losing to a Clio or Megane

My S3's about 270 ish my scooby is pretty much standard(M plate Wrx exhaust and panel filter so 280ish) sadly scooby will absolutely kill it...

He will run out of fuel before you do though lol...!!!

Last edited:
Unless of course its a Early Uk car as there pretty ***** at 220bhp standard

Off the line, he will have you lick'd, as he has a proper 4wd system! On the move though, it will be very close, but I think the Impreza maybe a fair bit lighter than the S3, so maybe it will come down to driver ability on the twisty stuff.

scooby all day long. Lighter, more torque, quicker spool up, and as said a propper AWD system. Im not being bias coz my last car was a scoob but even before i went mad on modding it i used to kill my mates 02 S3 and hes a loon!!

Dont get me wrong, the s3 was not far behind but as soon as it got to the twistys the S3 was left wishing it had not eaten all the pies!

My s3 is standard maybe it was my jealousy of the scoob being quicker but at the time it didn't seem that quick. He said he had hybrid turbo and some other stuff which sounded impressive but as I said I didn't think it was that quick!
Sounds like I should stay away from his scoob then!

Ive already tried that! i wish i still have the video..:(
Stock S3 210bhp Vs stock subaru 2003 IIRC 280bhp.
It was all subaru all the way. I didnt even get close.
We tried from the line and on a 2nd gear roll and the subary wins by far.

Modded Subaru will outrun easily a modded S3 (lets say modded for the same amount of money)

Yer this one is a P plate, think that makes it 1996. I was thinking it would have far less power than the newer ones?

And if you dont want to loose...dont try with E46 330 coupe 2002, CLK 320 2003, Golf GTI 2007, evo (any year lol).
But i repeat my car is an AMK stock engine 40 000 miles, imported from japan but left hand drive.

What can beat it then?! For the money is there anything? Lotus elise sc?

hate to brake it to you, but you will find Classics are usually quicker than the newer shape scoobys. its the same EJ20 engine throughout. (other than special editions) older scoobs are alot lighter. if there JDM there even quicker than the uk spec as they run a TDo5 over a TDo4. Classic STI vs lardy hawk eye sti, Classic will have the edge all day long! S3s have not a chance

Last edited:
And if you dont want to loose...dont try with E46 330 coupe 2002, CLK 320 2003, Golf GTI 2007, evo (any year lol).
But i repeat my car is an AMK stock engine 40 000 miles, imported from japan but left hand drive.

are you saying you have lost against a 330ci and golf GTI, you need a map on your S3 my son..... ;)

you gotta remember the s3 only has a quarter mile of 14.7s which is only just quicker than "quick" hot hatches. i saw my brothers basically standard 182 clio run 14.3-14.4 yesterday

Dammit thats a shame, guess i knew it was always going to be quicker...
I spose it is a hot hatch not a hot saloon... maybe time i looked for an RS4! If only i had the cash! haha

rs4 = 13 seconds dead. straight out the box ;)

remapped S4 is meant to be low 13s but id never have the nuts to launch mine hard

you gotta remember the s3 only has a quarter mile of 14.7s which is only just quicker than "quick" hot hatches. i saw my brothers basically standard 182 clio run 14.3-14.4 yesterday

where did he run this? the 182 shouldnt beat an S3 or come anywhere near the 14secs best a mapped S3 will do..... that is without doubt!! ive played with many of these 172/182's and they arent a patch on pace

Last edited:
its a strong claim that a clio will never get near a 14s quartmile. the strip was at north weald, so timing is unknown.

on the day it saw off a mk4 R32 convincingly and really gave a tvr tuscan a good run for its money. lost by 10ths.

Are CLK 320 that fast to put them up with evo's?

What about the SLK 320? i know someone who has one and is always banging on about how fast it is, would love to give him a go in mine.

If its just outright speed then all scoobs are a class in front of most things however ride comfort and interior options are limited. i bought an S3 as it was best allround over anything else for the same price to me! i dont need a big car but you get a big car feel in an S3 and down the m1 the other day i was getting 37mpg at 70 and mine has been mapped i would like to see a flat four getting that!

His is just the SLK not the AMG. Could i give him a run for his money?

I would have thought so, they have 215bhp or there abouts, AMG ones have 350BHP! Of course, most, if not all of them are Auto's, so all they have to do is prod the loud pedal, and the car does the rest!

are you saying you have lost against a 330ci and golf GTI, you need a map on your S3 my son..... ;)

I need more than a remap lol...my plans are Remap, Downpipe + exhaust (borla doesnt have one for S3 ...just for TT :( ) ARB, Haldex controller, FMIC.
and then i will race all those guys again lol (or race myself, i got a C32 AMG, M3 Conv, 330 Ci....im a little car dealer :D )

CLK 320 2003 had me on my stock S3...the CLK is incredibly fast over 60 miles.
I dont know if the SLK 320 (less weight but older engine) will be faster than the S3...but if the S3 is stock..i guess the slk is faster
and the SLK 32 AMG is a very fast car with very little mods you can go up to 400 bhp easy

i fancied a C32 over my S4 but C32s are auto only

I need more than a remap lol...my plans are Remap, Downpipe + exhaust (borla doesnt have one for S3 ...just for TT :( ) ARB, Haldex controller, FMIC.
and then i will race all those guys again lol (or race myself, i got a C32 AMG, M3 Conv, 330 Ci....im a little car dealer :D )

afraid not doood a mapped only S3 will take most 330CI's (theres 1 mtech out of the 8 or you need to stay away from), i stayed with a lad from work in his SL500 all the way through the gears, you will also take the golf GTI's in standard form.... done all of these several times, if not then you have sumat wrong with your car ;)

Matt..... the clio cannot be standard cos ive ruined so many of them..... and to suggest they can get 14.4 1/4 miles suggests they could keep with me in any gear.....and that has NEVER happend (except when a 197 beat me top end when i was standard n had several boost leaks ;)

Tim

afraid not doood a mapped only S3 will take most 330CI's (theres 1 mtech out of the 8 or you need to stay away from), i stayed with a lad from work in his SL500 all the way through the gears, you will also take the golf GTI's in standard form.... done all of these several times, if not then you have sumat wrong with your car ;)

Matt..... the clio cannot be standard cos ive ruined so many of them..... and to suggest they can get 14.4 1/4 miles suggests they could keep with me in any gear.....and that has NEVER happend (except when a 197 beat me top end when i was standard n had several boost leaks ;)

Tim
got to agree with tim here on a 330, nice cars and lovely cruisers but the are big heavy numb f*ckers, a friend has tried his against mine loads of times with the same result..... bye bye beemer....

If its just outright speed then all scoobs are a class in front of most things however ride comfort and interior options are limited. i bought an S3 as it was best allround over anything else for the same price to me! i dont need a big car but you get a big car feel in an S3 and down the m1 the other day i was getting 37mpg at 70 and mine has been mapped i would like to see a flat four getting that!

Agree. Oh, and the S3 actually looks good.

Yer i'm a fan of the S3 for the all round ness i just wish mine was a little quicker sometimes, especially when you have other people in the car!
four adults in it and you barely get the pull back in your seat feeling :-(
Mine is standard though and thats the way its got to stay until i switch insurers :-(

you sure you dont mean "i got a C32 AMG, M3 Conv, 330 Ci....im a drug dealer :D"?

if i was gonna buy an evo i would buy an evo yes, but if i was gonna buy a scoob id still get an evo:o.k:

Ravi: Its simple physics.

Scooby weighs around 1200kgs and has 220hp stock
S3 weighs around 1500kgs and has 225hp stock

I very much doubt there are many scoobys around without at least a remap, so your looking at 260-280hp in 1200kgs of car. You'd need about 330hp in an S3 to match that.

On the clio, the clio 172/182 ranges from 155 to 172bhp/ton depending on the exact model. A stock S3 will have somewhere around 150-160bhp/ton, depending on its exact weight. So a standard 172/182 should be pretty close if not quicker than a standard S3, depending on which exact model it is.

aragon, a lot depends on conditions.... the S3 has a turbo which allows a shed load more torque than the 172/182..... small headwind or incline and the difference squares off pretty rapidly

Status
Not open for further replies.