How to achieve 200-220HP on a 1.8T (150HP)

Neesh

Reaction score
Morning guys,
as my title states how can I achieve 200-220HP on my A3 1.8T(150HP) for about £1500?is it possible?My A3 is stock at the moment.

Another thing I want to find out,ive read on this forum that the S3 loses a lot of power through the quattro,so power on the wheels is about 20-30HP lower.Would a nicely tuned 200HP 1.8T then be able to keep up with the S3?

Hi, Yes you can easily achieve 220bhp from your engine.... firstly you will need the ko3s turbo (if your engine dosnt currently have it), an aftermarket exhaust of some sort, better intake (either mod the existing airbox and fit a performance filter, or get a cone filter relocated into the bumper, possible a different/better diverter valve, FMIC and finally a good remap (i would suggest go to R-Tech as there hasnt been a bad word about them and their figures are very good!)
With these mods and the map you would eaily keep up with, or if not beat a mapped s3. Speak to a guy called Prawn on here, he recently went to the nurburgring...where he will tell you how his tuned a3 was all over an s3 there!
hope this helps :D

i disagree with that mate a remapped s3 with the same mods fmic etc will do a tuned a3

not necessarily, as weight will play a big part in it. obviously depends on the extent of modifications to both parties

Dude Prawn maybe alot better driver than the guy in the S3. Them mods will get you roughly 210-220bhp (stage 2).

A remapped A3 is not far off a standard S3 and I have had a lot of experience of this as a few of my friends all have remapped 1.8T

thanks guys,now where must I check to see if it is indeed a KO3s?
What about wheelspin?Is there some type of launch control system?

Facelift models have K03S and none have KO3.

No launch control on them just modulate the throttle and clutch

ok mine is a 2001 so im assuming it has a K03s which is brilliant. :D

Can someone pls explain stage 1,stage 2 and stage 3?

No mate, id look at your engine code as not all post 2001 had the k03s lol. so i wouldnt get excited yet !. I can believe a well tuned a3 can outdo an s3 on weight and transmissions. My current car seems loads faster than my old a3 quattro, it also does well against the latest gti's with 40 bhp more than my current car. so an a3 with 40 bhp less than an s3 will no way be slower untill top end. Plus around the bends being 200kg lighter will be much more nimble. Make sure you get your handling sorted out aswell, its a waste of power if your leaving it on standard setup! For a bit more money you could go hybrid for 270bhp.

To control wheelspin get a limited slip diff

At around £900 :D

A well tuned a3 ye would leave a standard S3 but a A3 with just a remap will not. It wont be far behind but it will not beat it.

How much does your car say its weighs on your log book

The s3 only has 40bhp more. i am talking about a well tuned a3, well an a3 running 220bhp on a k03s. the a3's weigh near on 250kg less.

bhp/weight a3- 180bhp at 220bhp

bhp/weight s3 170bhp at 260bhp and thats if it was fwd.

the s3 would have it on launch no doubt but i could see the a3 catching up.

I think my golf weighs around 1100 or a bit less. so 350 kg lighter than my a3.

According to EVO mag a standard S3 has a power to weight ratio of 165 bhp / ton. They say a standard S3 weight 1375 kg

Yes a A3 with 220 bhp, stage 2 power would have a standard S3 all day long but I dont think it would have a stage one S3.

In order for a A3 to catch a S3 up after a race off the line it would need to be alot fast 100 %

Do you mean a MK4 golf. I dont think they weigh 1100 kg. Think a 1.8T is about 1300kg

Last edited:
that seems a little light for an s3. in my log book my a3 tqs was 1420kg or around that, people have said there s3's weigh in at over 1500kg. Prawn drove both, his a3 and his friends stage one s3, he may of been saying the a3 felt faster too big up a3's but then he could of been saying it for real, which i think he was, the weights where 1250kg for the a3 and 1500kg for the s3 (without drivers) No its a mk2 golf but a bit heavier due to the 2.0 litre.

cant remember if animal said his wives a3 felt faster than his s3 or not? but he did say the s3 felt nicer to drive and delivered its power better due to the ko4. I think !

Ye my S3 say 1510 kg on the log book. The S3 feels very very isolated from the performance. Doesnt feel as fast as it does but the needle goes up pretty quick and beats a lot of car which feel alot more raw in there power and delivery.

I think EVO stats are dry weights. The S3 is not as heavy as everyone think though.

Friend got a MINT MK2 with a MK3 GTI lump and thats very nice car.

yer true, most modern cars are around the 1400kg mark now anyway, yer it must be as thatll be a very quick s3 if it was that light.

I love my mk2 :D bit annoying on the motorway though being at 4k revs all the time !

nooo not another A3 vs S3 thread.

Standard A3 vs Standard S3 - S3 win
Tuned A3 vs Tuned S3 - S3 win

Why compare a tuned A3 to a standard S3?

We wasnt ? have you had a head to head race? I just dont think a 40bhp difference is enough to say the s3 is a clear winner thats all.