Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Help with A3 8L Fascia Adapter

Hello, folks!

Can anybody help me to find a fascia adapter to fit my 2din dvd at the dashboard? I have the Audi Symphony and want to remove it and put a 2din DVD at the place.

I cant find any 2din fascia for A3 8L. Has the A4 B6 Symphony's the same shape? I found this: http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conne...r-p-11471.html

Do you think it will fit? I have an Audi A3 1.8T 180 8L 2003 (the brazilian one).

Thanks!

Patrick

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Hi mate, had the same problem looking for a double din adaptor... put simply there isn't one... I got hold of an A4 one to mod (not like the one in your link though) which is close in shape but couldn't find a double din headunit I liked so just converted over to single din... lot of work but more options HU wise.

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'm sad right now! There's no adaptor to our model?? Not even one? And the fascia only? And the internal adaptation I can make myself... Here in Brazil there's a seller that says he has the right fascia for about 130 dolars. http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/M...a3-audi-a4-_JM But I think that's the same fascia sold in UK like this one that I mentioned at the first post.

Status
    No A4 and A3 are different. So anything claiming to fit both is just wrong.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Reverse Gear

Status
    But looking at the symphony panel on A3 and A4, they look exactly the same. What's the difference?

Here is my Symphony picture:

Last edited by phabran; 8th May 2010 at 18:11.

Reverse Gear

Status
    And Here is the Pioneer one, P/N 12.301321-03 Car Fascia Double DIN kit for Audi A4

Status
    The difference is that if they were exactly the same then all the A4 adapters would claim to fit the A3 as well. As you have found none do, apart from a very few which just do it out of ignorance. You'd need to buy an A4 one and see how well it fits and what mods would be needed. To the naked eye lots of things look identical until you come to fit them, the curve could be slightly different, or the dimensions. I'm pretty sure the part numbers for the Symphony II are different for the A3 & A4 so there must be something different.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Reverse Gear

Status
    i got an a4 adaptor and had to trim bottom edge to fit was closet fit i could get

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks, AndyMac. I believe you, just don't believe that an A3 8L adaptor had never been created.

Do you have any pics silvr6?

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've heard that the A6 fascia is a little bigger than A3 and I can cut the border to fit. Someone already tried that?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Someone can help me?

Speeding in reverse gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phabran View Post
    I've heard that the A6 fascia is a little bigger than A3 and I can cut the border to fit. Someone already tried that?
    I have a Kenwood 2-din HU and searched high and low for an adapter, but after a few months searching, found nothing that is a direct fit. You can use the A4 adapter, but will have to trim the sides and bottom edge to make it fit. You will also have to make your own bracket to hold the unit in properly.

Alternatively get someone to make you a custom adapter.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks, Leshkin. I will habe to do that.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Hi mate, had the same problem looking for a double din adaptor... put simply there isn't one... I got hold of an A4 one to mod (not like the one in your link though) which is close in shape but couldn't find a double din headunit I liked so just converted over to single din... lot of work but more options HU wise.

<tuffty/>

Hi mate, i know you posted this a while ago, I am have the excat same problem now and its a nightmare, want that tape player out! and I am just wondering how much work went into converting to a single die and what is needed?

Cheers

Dan

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    Daniel, you'd need to swap the cage. I have a brand new RNS-D for sale if you're interested which is double din. Isn't the better RNS-E but I've got it sitting here and want to sell it.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

6th Gear

Status
    Bit of a thread jack, BUT can anyone tell me: What's the difference between the symphony and concert HU please?

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by reesyboy View Post
    Bit of a thread jack, BUT can anyone tell me: What's the difference between the symphony and concert HU please?
    Symphony Vs Concert
    Symphony Vs Concert - whats the difference?
    Audi Symphony V Concert V Chorus
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I'll keep an eye on this thread as I've been put off from changing my HU since day 1 of ownership.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ive read a few post's about putting an a4 nav unit in and "trimming" the edges, any one with advice on this or who has done it?

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks for those links Aaron, and now on topic, seeing as this is a fascia based thread.:I currently have a concert HU with a tape in the front and a 6CD in the boot. As it's single DIN i have the little storage area below the Climate Control. If I wanted to fit a double din unit, can the AC be dropped to the lower position?? (Can the storage area be removed?

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    To install a double din you need to have a double din cage. So it would mean buying one which would remove the little cubby hole I believe, and the AC moves down, then you can install a double din unit. You may still need a fascia though, I'm not sure.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

Neutral

Status
    check this out though... aftermarket double DIN
    A3 1.6i 8L, 1998, 18"

Neutral

Status
    A3 1.6i 8L, 1998, 18"

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TheButtonz View Post
    check this out though... aftermarket double DIN
    That looks sweet mate, top work on that, huge improvement from the standard, is that able to work with an iPod too?