Audi S3 VS Golf GTI 2007 bhp's

Chlippo

Reaction score
my buddy just bought a 07 GTI 6 speed manual and i was teasing him by the fact that i got more bhp in my 2002 S3 than his 2007 GTI. I drove his car and i have to admit it reallly is fast for a stock car which made me wonder
Stock, what does the GTI bhp on the wheels Vs the audi S3 quattro? im really interrested knowing what the GTI got on the wheels since i find it really fast and its really stock 100% with 6 speed manual

At the wheels possibly more bhp as there's no transmission losses. Will be fast as they're lighter then the s3 I'd imagine. Plus newer car newer engine etc.

You'll find diving side by side from about 40-50 mph on wards the GTI will pull away as there is less loss of power through the transmission however launching off the line you may edge ahead. IMO you would have to add about 40-50 bhp to compensate for the transmission loss.

This months evo has a review on two upgrade packages for the GTI -superchips and autograph. Both companies have found the stock 207bhp to be someway off when rolling road tested. more like 230-240, with some even reaching 250bhp!!!!

The gti is going to be my next car, that or a GTD. The way the power delivery is impressive. Dont think theres much difference in weight though.

i had a golf fti ed30 until january 09, which had the giac hammerfile 330bhp it was very quick, my own window cleaner wrote it of after a bump on ice 500yards from our house, i know have ibis white 09 plate s3 which is standard. my point is they are both much faster than my 03 plate mk1 s3, but i wont go anywere near my company car mk11 s3 this weekend, my mk1 has so much more soul and character its unberlievable i smile everytime i get in it, its not as quick but i love it.

i had a golf fti ed30 until january 09, which had the giac hammerfile 330bhp it was very quick, my own window cleaner wrote it of after a bump on ice 500yards from our house, i know have ibis white 09 plate s3 which is standard. my point is they are both much faster than my 03 plate mk1 s3, but i wont go anywere near my company car mk11 s3 this weekend, my mk1 has so much more soul and character its unberlievable i smile everytime i get in it, its not as quick but i love it.

How did you find the ed30 with 330bhp, i thinking about moving into one next, only concern is putting the power down etc

there was a lad on here who ran a sub 14secs at santa pod, think it was around the 13.3 mark in mapped edition 30...... ive had a play with a standard 2.0T golf and beat it with my mapped car, not the best test - although i would suggest having a go against ya mates car ;)

I'm fairly sure the ED30 runs a detuned 8P S3 engine, whatever turbo that uses.

the e30 uses the exact same engine has the mk11 s3, only difference is s3 has a slightly larger intercooler, the ed 30 has a k04 turbo, different head to gti, sronger conrods biger injectors, the basic superchip remap and nothing else gives 294bhp, mine had an uprated fuelpump and the giac hammerfile remap 330bhp. i had it onthe rollers at awesome it ran 319bhp, it was the most liniaer turbo charged car i have ever owned the ed30 will become an iconic car in years to come

the e30 uses the exact same engine has the mk11 s3, only difference is s3 has a slightly larger intercooler, the ed 30 has a k04 turbo, different head to gti, sronger conrods biger injectors, the basic superchip remap and nothing else gives 294bhp, mine had an uprated fuelpump and the giac hammerfile remap 330bhp. i had it onthe rollers at awesome it ran 319bhp, it was the most liniaer turbo charged car i have ever owned the ed30 will become an iconic car in years to come

So 330bhp front wheel drive, how was it ? also how did the brakes cope with the extra power ?

The turbo hotside is linked to the mani, I think sometimes they are called K05, slow at launch by 0.5 of sec comapred to my s3, as I have printouts of the a Grey ED30 at santa pod, but he nails it at the finish line with speeds over 110 mph, he had somewhere near 330bhp as well. lovely car I think.

At the wheels possibly more bhp as there's no transmission losses. Will be fast as they're lighter then the s3 I'd imagine. Plus newer car newer engine etc.

I know the S3 have more transmission loss than the GTI but i am wondring how much does the GTI looses?
180 on the wheels ...???

Ed 30 remaps to 294 but an s3 mk2 remaps to 300 but an mk2 s3 has 35bhp more to start with how does that work out!

Just the remap it starts with, s3 is running more boost, turn the golfs boost up a bit and itd have the same power as the standard s3, turn it up more and youll have the 294bhp, vice versa for the s3

O ok sounds good then how did you find the power through the front wheels

to be honest in the wet its terrible, not 1st and 2nd gear but 3rd also weelspin, but in the dry 1st is still useless 2nd is so so and third you really get going, but real world driving 30-60 90-130 6th to fith overtaking bla bla bla it really is very quick.

Same for me when I use to have my focus st mk2 I did full exhaust bigger intercooler and induction kit was running 290bhp in the dry woz fine in the wet wheel spin 1st and 2nd gear but was great fun can't beat the four wheel drive tho so hopefully soon haveing the s3 running around the 300bhp mark

how did the clutch cope in the ed30 with that sort of power ?

so we raced and i was way behind. both cars are stock and manual and we both arent professional drivers (2007 GTI , 2001 S3 AMK engine)
I would pull a little bit just off the line at 1st (coz of the quattro indeed) and then its all for the GTI all the way up to 120 miles clock.
By the way out of curiosity...whats the best "way" to launch the S3 from the line?

By the way out of curiosity...whats the best "way" to launch the S3 from the line?

From my experience, raise revs to around the 3k mark, then launch with a bit of clutchslip and full throttle at the same time, once you feel it all bite, let the clutch out to the max and short shift into 2nd well before the redline as 1st is very short, then through the gears. You will know you got it right if the revs don't bounce off the limiter in 1st, and the power didn't bog down, it feels good! :racer:
I still don't know if shifting up just before the redline or shifting up at maximum power(just over 6k revs) is the best technique to get maximum acceleration out of the car though.

same thing for me but i start at 3500.
I shift a bit before the redline too...i dont know if i get the max out of it but i do it :D

i think others that have good times at pod and inters dropped the clutch on 4k IIRC

yup. there are loads of variations

rs4 has ko4s. rs6 has "bigger" ko4s etc

in the same way as there is no such thing as a KO3S. its just one of the many variations of KO3 but flows better so instead of quoting ko3-00674e564 (made up part number) someone just called it KO3S and it stuck

Previous experiences I've had with Mk5 gti's and Sciroccos is...

Without my map I wouldn't have kept up, off the line I'd of been ok but once rolling that 2.0T is potent, even in standard form...