Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Smell my finger.

Status

MOT.....couple of minor issues!

Well my car had its MOT yesterday and whilst it passed I got a nice little orange sheet with a few issues on..

1. Offside front Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment

Is this a ball joint or something easy that can be swapped out?

2. Nearside front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint

No worries, I'll just replace the ball joint (I'll do both sides so I know they're both good)

3. Front brakes only just met the front brake imbalance requirements. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair.

WTF?, how on earth do I go about that?

4. Nearside front brake reading badly fluctuating

The chap said its either a warped disc or the pads need taking out and refitting with plenty of copper slip to make sure the pads are seated properly. He said he think the pads need refitting but I think it feels more like a warped disc as you can feel it through the pedal. I'll obviously refit everything but the discs are less than 12 months old..grrr.

Anyone got any advice on point 3 as that has be concerned

Apart from that though the guys that were looking over the car all gave it a big thumbs up for being super clean and tidy underneath.... one asked to let him know if I decide to sell it too which is always nice

T
    Last edited by A3Tom; 7th May 2010 at 18:18.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Tom maybe your brakes just need bleeding and some fresh fluid? Got my m.o.t tomorrow, really hoping it passes!
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software

Smell my finger.

Status
    I've been thinking of changing the fluid out for a couple of months now so I think I'll do it next weekend.

I'll strip all the front brakes down, clean, copper slip and then put them all back together again and then bleed them. I'll have to check the discs arent warped too...grrr. I really hope they havent turned to cheese as they're not very old and I dont give them a very hard life.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Sticky caliper maybe? 3 and 4 could be related...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Smell my finger.

Status
    I'm with you on that one mate, 3 and 4 must be causing the smae issues etc.

Calipers are in really good nick (or they were when I changed the discs and pads) so I think its going to be a case of strip the whole lot off...rob a bank and get some Brembos

1st Gear

Status
    Offside front Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment
    Seems a favourite of MOT stations. Mine had an advisory on this in 2008. Took it to be checked elsewhere and nothing wrong. Latest MOT went straight through no advisory. Wording was identical.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    ...rob a bank and get some Brembos
    Nice work

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Smell my finger.

Status
    I'll sort the other ones out and see how that one goes being left alone then....as long as there's nothing dangerous about it when I have a good look at it.