S3 whine after having cambelt and waterpump replaced.

its_neil

Reaction score
Hey guys,

about a month ago my original waterpump packed in and since I bought it from a garage a couple of weeks prior they fixed it at no charge to myself (and did the cambelt too).

I noticed that I have a high pitched whining noise that's quite audible from outside the car (less so inside) but thought I'd give it a couple of weeks to clear before going back to the garage.

I still have it, it sounds like a supercharger kinda noise so if you idle and blip the throttle you can hear it rising and falling with the revs. I initially thought it was the secondary air pump but after a long drive (120 miles) you could still hear it at the destination.

I'm thinking that the bearings in the waterpump are faulty or could it be something else? I'm going to take it back to the garage but I like to go armed with some information beforehand to save them ripping the thing to bits and me having to take the bus everywhere...

Cheers.

Its the serpentine belt tensioner I reckon... there is a metal bracket that needs to be sandwiched between it and the alternator bracket... done this before and fitted the braket on the outside which meant the tensioner wasn't aligned and made the same noise...

<tuffty/>

Quick fix on the drive or back to the garage you think?

I had the same noise on mine after getting the timing belt and waterpump changed. Thought it was normal and has been driving fine for over 8 months now

Can it do any damage if left as it is?

Interested in how you get on with this.

Quick fix on the drive or back to the garage you think?

Personally I would take it back to the garage... they put it back together wrong and if its damaged the tensioner or belt etc then they should be sorting that out tbh...

Its not difficult to do yourself if that is the problem though if that is what's causing the prob... should be obvious as looking at the tensioner/belt from the top you should be able to see the tensioner is square on the belt, if not then its prob not been refitted properly...

<tuffty/>

i agree with tufty

they should have done it right to start with

Sorry to resurrect an oldie. But I just bought my 3rd S3 and the prev owner changed the cambelt, waterpump and tensioner before I collected. Which has presented a whining noise.

On the way home, a misfire developed on boost.
Engine light flashed a handful of times then went away.

Codes were:
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0302 - Cyl 2 misfire

This got progressively worse on the way home and more pronounced even with lower pressures and gentle throttle.

Then pulling up to home, a rather bad top end rattle became present. It sounds alot like low oil pressure, but the oils full and the light hasn't shown at all.

Is it possible it's been fitted incorrectly and chewed up the valves?
Engine was incredibly quiet and smooth the week before when I viewed it.
I've clearly dropped the ball buying this one. :(

No remedial investigation has been done as yet. Just a lot of sulking.

Any advice on where to start, is very much appreciated.

Thanks

I'm would start with getting it scanned with vag-com and see what codes are stored. Then you can see where you can go from there. That's bad luck mate after just buying it.

A basic reader won't read all the codes that vcds would.
There is a vcd map on here and you might find some one near you that has it and will scan it for you.