Dip Stick Problems

Mattjbradbury

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I went to check the oil this morning and the dipstick decided to fall apart on me. The plastic is awful and just disintegrated in front of me. Now i can't put the dipstick back in, it seems to be getting stuck and won't go down fully.

Help Please!!

Also the oil on the dipstick came up bubbly in patches. Should that happen? I used fully synthetic oil to top up a while ago, said was good for turbo engines... Should i be worried....

The dip stick is prone to failure, a replacement from Audi is £3

Yes fully synthetic is what Audi recommend, different forum users use different types as long as it conforms to the VW 503.01 spec.

Just change the oil, just to give peace of mind.

I use Mobil 10W40

Ah thats not an expensive fix! I'm worried a bit of plastic is stuck down the dipstick tube though as the dipstick won't go down anymore - Or will it stop fitting if its broken?

You'll be able to see when you take the old shroud off mate. If there are bits down there - a pair of rat nosed pliers should sort you out.

When you get the new bit of plastic, put it in boiling water to make it a little bit flexible before you try to put it on the car. If you don't it is very easy to snap the new one when you try to fit it. You can get them from GSF or Euro Car Parts - I think they about a quid.

Mine snapped yesterday too, couldn't get it back in. the onrange tube has snapped about half way down if you get to an angle where you can see it you can line up the broken tube to that you can get it back in until you get a replacement.