Fitting RNS-E to 2002 S3?

123holah

Reaction score
im sure there must be a topic on this but cant seem to find it in the search.

is there anyone who can fit a RNS-E to my 2002 S3 for a sensible price? the car only has single din so this would need changing. I know they had an RNS-D fitted factory but i have been told for a bit more money its worth upgrading??? im aware that the climate control unit needs dropping and possibly trimming and would possibly have a go myself if there is a decent how to somewhere?

It has been done, There is a thread somewhere but from what i remember its an expensive route, The nav costs in the region of £500 from ebay, your climate wont need trimming you'll need a new one which is £450 from the dealer or you could go secondhand.

The best one to get is the A4 one i think, it just needs trimming at the sides and a thin piece of plastic or similar to go at the top as it doesn't sit flush to the black trim.

Then there's the wiring, something to do with Can-bus?? different wiring on the two cars.

ok thanks i will have a think about where the money is best spent!

My unit cost £430 from ebay, double din cage about £ 67 from Audi, GPS antenna £10 from ebay, wiring harness adapter about £14.
i fiited it myself the RNS-E needs trimming down as does the climate panel (i have a template for this) and the unit will need to be coded with VAGCOM
i will post a couple of pics of my install tomorrow for you
Hope this helps

My RNS Install( poor quality phone pic)
RNS.jpg

what needs trimming? I have rnsd, straight swap?

An A4 RNS_E will need trimming to fit in 8l dash will also need a small gap of about 3mm filled above the unit, i fitted a chrome strip above it that matches the quattro badge on glove box
obviously if you have RNS-D you have double din so climate panel is already in position no trimming required

An A4 RNS_E will need trimming to fit in 8l dash will also need a small gap of about 3mm filled above the unit, i fitted a chrome strip above it that matches the quattro badge on glove box
obviously if you have RNS-D you have double din so climate panel is already in position no trimming required

Excellent, thanks Bob, will hunt for an rnse

Alright mate did you already have a sat nav unit fitted or did you do it from the standard h.u

Thanks for the help. the unit looks factory fit to me! if i go ahead with it then i might send you a message about a template if thats ok. as for the vagcom i guess this is some softweare to make it compatable? I have a multi function steering wheel, BOSE and 6cd so would like it to work with those and if it still showed the info on the centre console that would be good. do you know if all this is possible?

Thanks for the help. the unit looks factory fit to me! if i go ahead with it then i might send you a message about a template if thats ok. as for the vagcom i guess this is some softweare to make it compatable? I have a multi function steering wheel, BOSE and 6cd so would like it to work with those and if it still showed the info on the centre console that would be good. do you know if all this is possible?

yes should all be possible never done the steering wheel controls but cant see it being a problem!
no problem message me if you need help