More timing please....

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
Planning on getting my car on a dyno this week. Long story short, a mate of mine got stitched up with a power run, and they offered him a free one (as many runs as he wants....). Anyway, he's said he's happy to put my car on instead as he is having issues with his. For free.

Bargain.

Will be good to get it on the dyno (Dyno Lottery) to see what it's making now, and then take back to the same dyno after Stage 2 to see increase (if any).

Anyway, been doing some logging in prep for this. I have had numerous discussions with Badger5 about my ignition timing advance. After fitting the AGU engine, and having my REVO Stage 1 turned right up for engine timing and boost, logs were still only showing 3's on block 020.

So, Bill pointed me to a little bit of software to turn the timing up more! Yay!!

Anyway, started out by logging as it was. Got nothing more than 3's as usual, and they were very sporadic.

Moving the timing forward by 3 degrees. Started getting readings of up to 9's at worst which is far too much.

Moved the timing back to 2.25 degrees on top of the REVO map. Spot on. Not seeing any more than 4.5's on block 020.

The interesting thing there, is how much more efficient the large port head is at flowing the air than the small port head.

I know people who have had their timing (on a small port S3) turned up to 8 of a possible 9 on the REVO Stage 1 map and have been getting up to 12s on block 020. I'm running 9 on the map, plus another 2.25 degrees.

Anyway, need to swap my MAF back before dyno run on Friday - then will post results.

Then plan to fit my new downpipe, maybe fit an MBC and Stage 2 it up, then re-run to see results/gains.

My timings 7. Works fine with 99RON fuel but pulls back on 97. Wouldnt put it any higher. Small port FTL.