piston rings

lugz

Reaction score
Anyone ever changed them? (not just on an a3)
had blue smoke quite severe out my exhaust and i think i've came to a conclusion that there has been grit left in the piston shafts when i recently changed my head gasket, and its worn down the rubber and allowed oil through...

can anyone tell me anything about it? willing to do the work myself, just need to know whether the head has to be split and i have to do the whole head gasket thing again or if its the whole block that comes out. and were i can get the parts from etc..
anything really.

thanks in advance

So you want to know how to change rings on a 1.6 A3?

Are you sure the HG job was done correctly?

As i am not being funny, you seem to have a pretty poor grasp of what is going on and what things are called, you may be better leaving to an "expert" to help you/do it

I know what i meant, maybe it just never came across proper cos i was typing it on my phone.
and no the head gasket job was fine as it shows no symptons of that.
and as for taking the car to an expert, that would cost more than the car is worth, and i am willing and capable of doing it myself.
can anyone be of any 'actual' help?
dont need a full step by step, just a rough idea of the process? troubles? parts?

can anyone be of any 'actual' help?
parts?

I suggest if you want a constructive answer you refrain from giving attitude to those that bother to post on your thread.

I would remove the engine to change the rings tbh as its not that hard, then whack the head off and the sump to drop the crank. It can be done with the engine block still in the car but care needs to be taken when honing the bores as its easy to catch the webbings when doing the bottom of the bores. I would also for the cost look at changing the shells.

The head has to come off either way you do it, no way around it sadly

...What rubber?

The piston rings???

If you think the bores are scored from grit then you may have a bigger problem tbh... honing 'may' get them out but you may end up needing a rebore which will then need new pistons and rings which will need to be gaped and new big end bearings as you will need to remove the rods to get the pistons off, new head gasket, new head bolts and fresh oil.

Not a small amount of work so I would get a second opinion on where the oil is coming from before committing tbh... it could be the valve stem seals too....

It could also be from overfilling the oil as well... if you have too much oil in the engine from overfilling it will get pumped out the PCV system back into the intake and burnt by the engine.

<tuffty/>