Fault code advice

IainS3

Reaction score
Hey chaps,

Just bought an s3 and put it through a pre-purchase check. It came up with three faults and i'm wondering if anyone can point me towards a part/solution to fix them, and also the impact they have on the car?

Faults as follows:

Gas temperature sensor
Main relay open circuit
power supply too high

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Iain

bought already? do a search and post up the specific errors.

well come to the forum

Do you have the fault codes? The descriptions given are not enough really as there can be several different faults of any given component and will need it in context to begin to understand whats going on...

<tuffty/>

Cheers for the replies guys. I've asked the garage for the fault codes, they posted the report through to me just with the description. Was hoping someone recognised the description - i'll post what i get back...

Hey guys, got the additonal info through

Gas Temperature P1455, P1456
Main Relay circuit : P0688
Power supply too high: P1602 (a new battery was fitted not that long ago, could this be connected?)

Any tips/info would be great, cheers,

Iain

Not using VAGCOM by the looks so makes it a little trickier to find info based on half the codes sadly but...

Main Relay circuit : P0688
17072/P0688/001672 - ECM Power Relay Load Circuit: (J271): Open Circuit

Possible Symptoms

• Engine Coolant Fan running at full Speed while Ignition is OFF and Engine is COLD (could lead to discharged Battery)
Possible Causes

• Fuse(s) faulty
  • Power Supply Relay for Engine Control Module (J271) faulty
    • Terminal 87 faulty/hanging
  • Wiring between Engine Control Module (J220) and Power Supply Relay for Engine Control Module (J271) faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check/Replace Power Supply Relay for Engine Control Module (J271)
  • Check Wiring between Engine Control Module (J220) and Power Supply Relay for Engine Control Module (J271)
  • Check/Replace Engine Control Module (J220)
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17072/P0688/001672

Power supply too high: P1602
18010/P1602/005634 - Power Supply B+ Terminal 30: Voltage too Low

Possible Causes

• Cables on the Battery were removed
  • Battery weak (voltage)
  • Generator Disfunction
Possible Solutions

• Check Battery Cables
  • Check/Replace Battery
  • Check/Replace Generator
Special Notes

• If multiple Control Module have Power Supply Faults stored, it's most likely to be one common Problem like the ones shown above. Otherwise when only one or two Control Modules have such Codes stored you better start searching at the individual Power Supply of these Modules.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18010/P1602/005634

Not sure about the EGT one, can't find a reference on Ross Tech Wiki, closest I could find was...
17863 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Implausible Signal
P1455 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Ross Tech Wiki doesn't have a page ref for 17863 but check that the EGT probe is plugged in for a start... EGT black box is under the inlet mani, remove the small trim cover (2 screws) and there will be a plug to the left hand side as you look... if unplugged then this would be the prob.. if not then EGT probe could be inoperative...

Try and get the cars fault codes read by VAGCOM as it provides much better info than most 3rd party handheld devices....

<tuffty/>

Thanks tufty. Not familiar at all with the 8L S3 so i've sent your advice to the garage and asked them to investigate - away to hit a learning curve!

Thanks, how would I find out what part number i need to buy?

Head in to Audi/call and ask? (01224) 400500 - they're pretty helpful. When I went in last time the guy brought through drawings s I could point out exactly which gaskets I was after. You could try googling, or maybe search the forum for someone after the same thing.

EGT sensor is around the £180 mark... I managed to source one from ebay.de but there is little or no discount to be had... even TPS couldn't get it below that kind of price...

I would be making sure it is the probe itself and not a wiring issue before changing it. The EGT probe control box is under the inlet mani, the probe itself and a type K thermocouple and is screwed into the turbo's hotside just below the actuator arm.

Get it on VAGCOM to double check the exact nature of the fault and start from there... replacing the sensor without making sure the sensor is at fault is an expensive way of ruling it out as a problem in this case...

<tuffty/>