AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Alex

Status

DP Size and Highflow Cat

Going to get a downpipe n highflow cat custom made n wondered a few things.

• Whats the best diameter pipe to use?
    • Where can you get a 200 cell cat from and how much ?
    • Is ceramic coating worth getting?
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I think 3" is the best size mate
    you could have a look on eBay see what you find the cost of the cat will prob be 400 and don't think ceramic coating will see any more gains
    so wouldent bother someone will have more info for you tho

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Size wise 3".... you can try here for a CAT..
    http://www.magnaflowshop.com/

I have this one on mine...
    http://www.magnaflowshop.com/index.p...roducts_id=769

Ceramic coating is not cheap, Bill insists on ceramic coating tubular manis and downpipes when he does a BT conversion and with good reason, its on there for good... I chose to wrap mine (as did Speedy Steve) which works as well but doesn't last as long... Mine has been on for sometime now and is still fine but I don't thrash my car to tax it... Bill used to wrap his DP on his race car back it would turn to glass quickly but then thats a different environment...

The choice is yours, EGT's will be in the late 800 degrees regardless of turbo application so heat will always be an issue. At the very least, wrap it... the stuff I used is the 2" wide Thermo Tec stuff I got from here...http://www.exhaustwrapshop.com/

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

2nd Gear

Status
    Tuffy would you only do ceramic coating if you was only going bt or you would recomend it for hybrid iswel.
    And is there any downpipes that would be a straight fit on to the standard cat
    thanks will

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_stig View Post
    Tuffy would you only do ceramic coating if you was only going bt or you would recomend it for hybrid iswel.
    And is there any downpipes that would be a straight fit on to the standard cat
    thanks will
    If you can afford it then do it... I would have done it in a heartbeat on mine especially if I had used a tubular manifold but funds prevented it at the time... as I have said in the previous post, EGT's are in the late 800's regardless of if you are running a K04 on a stage 1 remap or a GT30 putting out over 350bhp... you will benefit either way. The other question you need to ask is how much you fancy having to remove the DP every 12 to 18 months to re-wrap it... (depending on how hard you are with the car of course)

Mine is holding up well and other than loosing some of its black colour should last a little longer but I think I will look to get it ceramic coated when its time to re-wrap...

As for DP's fitting to OEM cats... there are non that I know of and tbh every single A3 quattro/S3 I have removed a DP from using OEM cats have had to be removed forcibly as the cats are bolted to the DP with studs and nuts which rust away and have to be air chiselled off making it pretty much junk...

Bill usually makes his own DP's as a rule (for all the BT conversions at least) and the only aftermarket DP I have had experience of for an S3 was the Pipeworx one fitted to Speedy Steves which came with a sports cat and adapted down to the OEM exhaust.

Ditching the OEM DP and cats and fitting something like that Pipeworx with a cat would be my preference tbh...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

2nd Gear

Status
    Ok thanks tuffy I'm going to have alook on eBay I'm sure they sell them there
    I already have amiltek cat back.
    And are loom in to getting the downpipe coated