Driving to the ring

chris_marshall

MTM S3, Aprilia RSV Mille
Reaction score
This time next ring I will be heading off to the Nurburgring for a spot of spirited driving. What do I need to take with me to comply with these stupid new european laws, and as for the headlights do I need to get the headlight reflectors or can they be adjusted?

Many thanks

oh sorry, saw the title and thought id respond with a quicker way than driving - flowers ;)

To drive in Germany, you'll need a hi-vis jacket in the car, as well as a warning triangle, and a complete spare bulb kit, you also should have all your documents with you, the V5, MOT, insurance cert, and your driving licence at all times (even on the ring)

You should use headlight deflectors, but I havn't bothered the last 2 times I've been over there, I just adjust my headlights downwards if driving at night over there. If you've got HID's, you can also use tape to cut out the beam kick.

if you've not been before, be VERY careful, Sportstractor on here came out with me 2 weeks ago, and on a wet lap he introduced his S3 to the German armco after his evil haldex upset the car on the exit of a bend and sent us into a tank slapper!

otherwise, enjoy it! and try not to chase lap times

You say a whole bulb kit, so headlights, sidelights, rear lights, even indicators?

I wouldn't worry too much about the bulbs mate. If one goes you'll be able to pickup spares over there. The most important things will be the triangle which you should have as part of your car anyway and a hi vis jacket just to keep the cops happy incase you brake down.

I've been going for around 9 years now and i've never needed beam benders for the head lights but that's because all my driving was during the day.

to be honest, I doubt they're going to check they're even suitable, just go to halfords and buy a 'spare bulb kit' they're fairly generic, make sure the main bulbs are suitable for your headlights and you'll be fine.

make sure you've got fresh oil in, and if you're planning on doing more than 2-3 laps, make sure you've got plenty of tread on your tyres.

Wet laps won't kill the tyres too much, but last summer I took 3mm of a brand new set of toyos in 4 laps.

Fuel wise, be prepared to pay a LOT, I can get 5 laps to a full tank of 97 RON unleaded, and 2 weeks ago super unleaded was around 1.55E per litre.

brakes are also VERY important, for a first time out on track you'll be using the brakes a LOT, standard 312's on an S3 are unlikely to last a lap unless they're in perfect condition.

it's a fairly expensive trip, but certainly one of the best things I've ever done! I went over easter weekend this year, and I'm going back again in september

Is the spare bulbs actually a legal requirement out there, if not then I wont bother as I have the S3 h.i.d's which cost a fortune for spare bulbs.

As said above, brakes hi vis jacket, tyres

I wonder if ASN should organise a UK to ring trip

As said above, brakes hi vis jacket, tyres

I wonder if ASN should organise a UK to ring trip
Well its just been serviced, new tyres, got the triangle and the vests, just want to be legal if I did get stopped

Who would be up for it? U.K to the ring?
400mile to the ring

Last edited:
Ideally you need to spare bulbs mate. The feds may not have any other way to ruin your day if you get what I mean.

I take a travel pack with me. Has the jacket, jump leads, electric air pump, first aid kit etc.

Bulbs and triangle a must.

Get breakdown cover too. Personal insurance might be an idea but at very least make sure uve got the european health health insurance card which is free and covers you on the continent.

I would agree with tyres and brakes being in good condition. Good to take a 1lt bottle of oil too incase needs a top up with all the driving.

Lights can be just pointed down. You shouldnt be doing much night driving in summer.

Im going in August. First time in the S3.

if you see my lower grill can you pick it up... cant remember the corner LOL.

Definately dont go with **** tyres... my S3 was great when the track was dry but became rediculous in the wet, hence managing to kiss the armco somewhat.

Tis expensive but definately worth doing!

Lap prices New prices from Northloop.co.uk Updated prices for lap tickets 18/12/2009
1 Lap = 23 EURO (£21.50) 22 EURO
4 Laps = 81 EURO (£75) 75 EURO
8 Laps = 156 EURO (£146) 145 EURO
15 Laps = 267 EURO (£250) 250 EURO
25 Laps = 415 EURO (£388) 390 EURO
(£ prices as of todays date 13/10/09)

Camping is E12 a day . No need to book camping as it's a big site.

Ferry Times: Norfolk Line - Leaving Friday 06:00am and returning Monday 20:00pm
Eurotunnel going to be getting the 06:00am train and then it's about an hours drive up to Dunkirk to meet the rest and the 20:20 back
P & O: cross to Dunkirk and are useful for people with trailers ....

Routes

E40 gran biig garten services
Brussels Ring Road E40
E42 St Vith -> Luxembourg
E42 Pruhm B298??
Daun and or Nurburg

Here is my check list for Euro Driving
Things to Arrange Before:
Notify Insurance Company - France / Belgium / Germany / Netherlands / Luxembourg - DO NOT mention the Nurburgring by name!
Travel Insurance
EHIC Card
Breakdown Cover

Compulsory Car Items:
V5C
MOT
Insurance Docs
GB Sticker or Europlates
Warning Triangle
Headlight Filters
Bulb Kit
HiVis Vest

Recommended - remember where you are going!
First Aid Kit
Fire Extinguisher

Most insurance companies like to me notified about 2 weeks in advance.

I always thought you could switch the S3 xenons to lhd, thought there was a dial on the back of the unit...

Make sure the first aid kit has a has a foil blanket you need this by law, also a very good idea to have V5, MOT and obviously insurance documents, zee German feds will keep you by the side of the road for as long as they want while they try to verify your details if you dont have them... (which is a pain in the **** when your itching to get on the ring or at the wrong end of a ten hour drive)

Make sure the first aid kit has a has a foil blanket you need this by law, also a very good idea to have V5, MOT and obviously insurance documents, zee German feds will keep you by the side of the road for as long as they want while they try to verify your details if you dont have them... (which is a pain in the **** when your itching to get on the ring or at the wrong end of a ten hour drive)

Yep that's no lie. A mate of mine got pulled as he came off the ring into the carpark because he had German look alike plates for his left hand drive BMW M3. The old Bill were not happy and accused him of stealing the car because he had got the plates branded with a stamp that's meant to show where the car was registered.

A period of 6 hours passed where they kept him there filling in paper work and he had to phone his mrs and get her to fax over all his car documents to try and prove he owned it. In the end he got fined 500 euros which went into mr plods top pocket! Day at the ring way ruined for him.