Chris NottAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Audi A3 1.8 20V AGN motor swap to S3 motor

Hello

I have an Audi A3 with the AGN 1.8L 20V n/a motor. I have found a 2001 repo S3 and I would like to swap all the good stuff on to mine. Is it possible to use the 6 speed trans without the 4wd stuff on it? I want to swap engine and trans from the the S3 along with interior and seats. Should I keep the 5 speed trans or the S3 6 speed?
    From what I could see at the impound lot the engine had stock 2 intercoolers with a custom downpipe? The Maf was missing but It started fine. Please advise

Cheers!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    I am going to be doing the swap myself, what should I keep and what not?

thanks

6th Gear

Status
    id just buy the s3 and us it. why would you bother transplanting stuff onto a car only to make a car you could just buy (and would have already bought) anyway

seems a bit mental

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Eros20V View Post
    Hello

I have an Audi A3 with the AGN 1.8L 20V n/a motor. I have found a 2001 repo S3 and I would like to swap all the good stuff on to mine. Is it possible to use the 6 speed trans without the 4wd stuff on it? I want to swap engine and trans from the the S3 along with interior and seats. Should I keep the 5 speed trans or the S3 6 speed?
    From what I could see at the impound lot the engine had stock 2 intercoolers with a custom downpipe? The Maf was missing but It started fine. Please advise

Cheers!
    Not all as simple as that mate. You can't just bosh the engine in there and of you go.

I'm not sure about the transmission - I can't see why it wouldn't work though.

As long as the engine is complete - injectors, fuel rail, you will need EVERYTHING out of the engine bay - and more besides. Fuel pump is the other main consideration, but things like heat shielding need to be had too.

The S3 obviously has a Quattro system. This means it has a split fuel tank. The S3 fuel pump won't be much use to you, but I believe you could use a fuel pump off of a LCR as they slot straight into the A3's tank.

Not sure what you mean by a custom downpipe? Do you mean the exhaust - or the intercooler connecting pipes?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Reverse Gear

Status
    Here in Greece, its not so easy to get an S3 like in the UK. Used come at about 15-17k euro.
    I have found a complete car that I deem it not road worthy, on the other hand my chassis is just begging for more hp.. The S3 that I found is complete with some disqusting body mods. I am even thinking of going FWD only, thats why I was asking about the transmission from the S3.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Let me just simplify this. Is there someone out there that have swaped the AGN motor for a 2001 S3 motor and trans?

6th Gear

Status
    Try it, and be the first!
    Ibiza Cupra TDI

Gone:

Audi C5 RS 6 - Stage 2
    Audi 8L S3 - Revo'd

6th Gear

Status
    S3 engine into MKIV Golf, give you a rough idea

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/302090.aspx?PageIndex=8
    Ibiza Cupra TDI