Rattle Under Car...

Pete20vt

Supermoto Junkie
Reaction score
I don't think for one minute any of you will be able to diagnose my rattle but its really annoying me! I have a very tinny light rattle that seem to come from under the car on the passenger side at the rear, happens when i'm going over bumps or decelerating, so dosnt seem engine/brake/drivetrain related, seems to light a noise to be suspension related too. Had a poke around under there put can't find anything thats loose or makes a noise, i grabbed and shook everything i could see, suspension, exhaust, heat shields etc. Anyone have any ideas?

My money would have been on the bottom heat shield on the cat...mine got removed not so long ago as it was making a right racket.

Mine used to drive me round the bend...grrr. even remembering it gets my beef :)

They're welded on from memory and as the exhaust ages they welds start to fail. They dont do anything other than stop grass setting on fire when you drive over it so they're pretty pointless IMO.

Mine used to drive me round the bend...grrr. even remembering it gets my beef :)

lol Will pay a bit more attention to the heat shields tomorrow, that said though i've had a noisey heat shield before on another car which sounded different to todays noise, at the minute its sounds as if something is just plain loose and about to fall off.

I had a rattle under idle which was the cat shield as a couple bolts had come off, just re bolted n now can idle in peace :)

I have this rattle on moving off from a stand still. I taught myself it was the cat shield so it will be getting sorted or getting binned :jump:

I took the heat shield off (with an angle grinder) and i still have the rattle. Went over the whole underneath of the car with a rubber mallet and can;t find anything loose! I might take the CAT off and give it a shake to see if its the CAT itself.

I'm 99% sure its the rear brake caliper! Reasons are as follows...

• Rattle is defo around the passenger rear wheel
  • No rattle when i beat the exhaust system with a rubber mallet
  • No rattle while beating anything under the car
  • Heat shields have been removed
  • No rattle when i wobble the car by jumping up and down on the door sill, which leads me to believe its something on the hub/suspension arm/wheel
  • No rattle while braking
Before i take it apart tomorrow and to save me the time of taking the oppostite side apart too for comparison, is there anything obvious i should be looking out for visually, maybe i've lost a spring or something?

I had my rear brakes rattle, it was a very metallic sound. Occurred when going over bumps, but if you were braking wouldn't rattle. Basically it was the pad a bit loose in the calliper, a bit of copper grease around the pad and its never done it since, 1yr.

I'm 99% sure its the rear brake caliper! Reasons are as follows...
maybe i've lost a spring or something?

maybe you have answered the question,it sure does sound like that

Change the pads, wind the piston back, job done. Common failing in my experience. I have decent front pads fitted (ds 2500) and they rattle/clunking on touching the brakes