Decided to keep the A3

Jay

Reaction score
Managed to sell the scooby I bought to replace my A3..after just 6 weeks

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1604344.htm

Power wise i've never experienced anything like it in my life but unfortunately thats all scoobys seem to offer..... It was the most uncomfortable ride ever. No sound deading so sounded like I was driving with the windows open all the time!!! not good with 2 kids in the back!!!

Audi's rule!!! I can't believe how an X reg 1.8T still on original clutch and suspension drives so much better! I've had it for 4 years now and now appreciate the build quality of it!!!awesome!!!

I've decided to spend a bit of money on it (uprated suspension/clutch/exhaust/fmic etc... )

Its done 103K miles now, would it be able to handle a stage 2.

Just waiting for it keel over then start looking at maybe a 2.0T 8P or a mk5 GTI.

id be interested to know if it can handle a stage 2 aswell as mine is also on the 103k mark. Ive heard ppl dont tend to remap anything above 130k. As long as its been maintained properly i dont see why it couldnt go to the 200k mark happily

Good job on keeping the A3 mate btw :D

Hopefully Prawn will be along shortly to share his experiences with high mileage A3s.... (it's not a bad one either.....) :icon_thumright:

I remapped my 1.8T at 125,000 miles. No problem, still going strong.

mines in 156k and is getting stage 2 mapping in the very near future :D
Bacially, what everyone else is saying... if your car is healthy then mileage shouldnt matter really

I will indeed be along to share my thoughts Welly! good guess :)

I bought my AGU at 126k, bog standard, and had it mapped by REVO at 130k. At the time JKM said it made the most torque they'd ever seen from a revo stg1 AGU, with 236lbft, and it flew!

After 6 months or so I got bored and whacked a ko3S on, this was a decent improvement, but it needed to be mapped for it. I had a CC2 map with the ko3S at 155k, it made 238bhp and 260lbft, and again, it flew! (still no engine trouble)

After foolishly playing with the actuator rod a bit, I got it boosting 24psi, which produced a face bending 290lbft torque, with a fraction less power due to the turbo going nuts! didn't bend the rods though.....

For the past 2 years I've run it at a safe 20psi of boost, making 235bhp/260lbft on several rolling roads, and it's not really missed a beat. I've had a few issues with boost leaks, but the engine itself has been perfect.

It's now on a whopping 202k, and still running as perfectly as ever, it's also been to the Nurburgring twice in the last year, putting in a fairly respectable 9:37 BTG lap (1st trip out there- total novice)

I've bought another one now, on 95k, and the 202k mile monster has been sold to my dad, who will continue to happily use it regularly. it shows no signs of giving up yet at all!

I think these things are basically bomb proof, I've looked after mine REALLY well, with oil changes every 5k, and it's never wanted for anything, in return, it's been the most amazing car I've ever owned!

Oh, and just as a dig, it's quicker than a mapped S3 ;) fact

Yep, regular servicing etc and you're car will last and last :)

Thats given me a bit of reassurance. Suppose I better start putting together a shopping list.

Prawn - Is it another A3 you've bought? Is it standard? Any plans for it?

prawn was ur k03s a standard one from ebay or something that u bought? or one of those hybrid upgrades?

ko3s on my AGU was just a normal ko3 053, from an 04 ibiza cupra, but basically the same part.

New A3 indeed Jay, but this time a facelift 2001 with the AUM engine.

I've already got it on coilovers, with ARB's, my S4 wheels, half leather interior, and a few other bits, it's off to R-tech for a map on saturday, and my Porsche brakes should be turning up soon too!

ive been a regular for a while on here, but just been lurking around though! Ive just bought my second a3 1.8t it has 144k on the clock, running 242bhp with printout, it drives even smoother than my first mk4 golf 1.8t that only had 50k on the clock! i would never worry about what the mileage was on a vag engine ever again, as this would put some people people off! Although saying that, it has pretty much fully service history from audi and then quite a few from jabbasport!

ooooooooooh, is that the Ming blue one with MTM reps and a jabba custom remap? was on pistonsheads for a crazy prioce fo £1750?

I saw that last night, looked gorgeous!

yea thats the one haha! picked it up on sunday! goes like anything ive been in! its quicker than my brothers ibiza cupra 1.8t!

thats alot of power for an A3 ...whats the spec ? have you got the pistonheads link?

cheers

Modifications are:
K03s turbo upgrade
Forge Motorsport silicone turbo intake pipe and silicone boost pipe kit.
Forge Motorsport Recirc dump valve
Milltek turbo back stainless exhaust and blueflame 100cell sports cat
green cotton panel filter
4bar fuel pressure regulator
Jabbasport custom remap to 242bhp and 238lbft with printout.
G60 Clutch and flywheel
312mm TT Brake upgrade with Yellowstuff pads
18" RS007 MTM replica alloy wheels with 4 new Toyo T1-R tyres.
Bilstein springs and dampers lowering a total of 60mm.
H&R front and rear anti roll bars

theres abit more, but thats everything i can think of off the top of my head! ive got a FMIC on its way and some audi tt 225 injectors!

you know you'll need spacers to fit the TT injectors into the AGU inlet right?

Also, unless you're fitting a bigger turbo, bigger injectors arn't needed to reach the limit of the turbo, which it sounds like you're already at.

Jabba's rollers are fairly optimistic, but I'd expect it's 225-230 still in real terms.

The FMIC will help it hold the power better when the weather gets better!

Jay, i went from an Audi, to a scooby back to an Audi again. Scooby was great and i do miss all that power but i cant deny i love my Audis. :kissmyrings:

Good choice.

Nope, not at all Tim.

Jabba and Revo do it, but it puts a bigger load on the fuel pump, and if you speak to Custom code or R-tech they say it's not needed at all for st2 mapping, the injectors are capable of exceeding the turbo's output, even on the AGU, so the AUM with bigger injectors definately won't need it.

You MAY find that the fuel pump struggles to keep up though, I'll be dropping in my 4 bar LCR pump

S3 is a 4 bar yes, but it's not a direct fit as the S3 tank is divided by the prop, so it has 2 pickups,

the LCR pump and swirl pot unit just drops straight into the A3 tank though, mine cost me £58 from a breakers

so are you saying the 4 bar is required for Revo and Jabba because their maps spike more and therefore could actually starve the standard pumps, where as R tech and CC are smooth and therefore less demanding over the rev range?

Well, what happens is, the fuel rail runs at the regulator pressure whilst at idle, then on boost, teh rising rate regulator means the fuel runs at base pressure PLUS boost, so at 1.5bar boost, with a 3 bar reg, you're asking for 4.5 bar fuel pressure.

if you're using a 4 bar reg, although the injectors will flow higher, at 1.5 bar boost, you'll then be asking for 5.5 bar fuel pressure!

I found on my CC2 even with the 3 bar regulator, at 1.65 bar boost the fuel pump couldn't keep up, and the car pulled the boost out to avoid going lean.

A 3 bar pump in good condition should be fine, but when they start to age they're not so capable.