1.8t quattro turbo removal

kx2

Reaction score
Hi - Can anyone help I am trying to replace the turbo and have everything off except the support bracket underneeth the turbo. I can't get access to this from underneeth as the grearbox is in the road. I tried taking of the exhaust manifold but the turbo gets in the road. Anyone done this before and can help.

On a quattro the only bolt you can undo to remove this is the top one (13mm) securing the turbo to the bracket... its a complete **** but can be done using a load of socket extentions through the wheel arch... be aware though that its typically 'welded' in through years of heat from the turbo.... apply loads of penetrating fluid and let it soak to stand any chance...

The bracket is secured to the block by two 6mm cap head bolts which you can't get too as the transfer box is in the way.... you say the gear box is in the road? what do you mean? you have removed the gear box? If you have then its easier to undo the two cap head bolts but you will need to get to this from underneath... I assume you have removed the exhaust mani to get to the oile and coolant lines?

<tuffty/>

Sorry I mean the transfer box haven't removed any of that. I haven't removed the manifold as I can't get into the bolts because theturbo is in the road. Have removed all the pipes from the engine end so the turbo moves and then I presume when you get the bracket off the turbo will move far enough to get the oil and water pipes off. there is no room to get a socket into the top oil pipe or the lower drain pipe.

The A3 exhaust mani is easy enough to remove tbh... the worst nuts are the two either side of the turbo... dropping the turbo enough on a FWD car is easy enough but you will need to release the turbo from the bracket to drop it enough... removing the turbo with the oil and water pipes attached is gonna be nigh on impossible from my experience... make removing the mani and support bracket your next priorities as this will make things much easier to do...

<tuffty/>

cheers will let you know how I get on

Hi - still having problems, I can't get into the support bracket bolt because the oil return tube is in the road and I can't get in to the back screw to remove the tube since the transfer box is in the way and I cant get an allen key in. Is there any other way of removing this