standard S3 brake caliper question

m8arx

Reaction score
i have an x plate s3, and my mate changed the front discs and pads over this morning.

when changing the NSF the piston was an absolute nightmare to get back in, it was absolutely solid and wouldn't go back at all. eventually had to use a vice to push the piston back.

after putting everything back on, road testing it etc, the OSF disc is hot, but not untouchable, however the NSF is a lot hotter. we now think the pads are binding because the piston might not be working properly.

I'm looking to change the actual caliper itself (there's nothing wrong with the carrier), so i need to know which other cars have the same single piston 54mm caliper?

Does anyone have any suggestions or a definitive list of what cars i could DEFINATELY get a caliper from that will work?

Thanks

The piston is supposed to be wound in as apposed to being pushed in, you can get the vital rewind tool from Halfrauds for around £15, my guess is its now funked!!

the rear one has to be wound in, the front one doesn't.

we changed the discs and pads because the discs were warped, turns out it might just be the drivers side one that was warped possibly because the passenger side piston wasn't actually doing anything for god knows how long.

all i need to know is what other car has the same caliper can i use on my S3 (bearing in mind i don't need the carrier as i already have this!)?

I use a company called bigg red to refurb calipers they do a great job.

cheers but i've already ordered another one from a Mk 4 golf gti 1.8t thats being broken :)