I need a K04. anyone?

S3KO4

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my car smokes a lot, when pushed, boosting is no where near it used to be, I haven't got a gauge, but I could tell with the sound and the way it used to pull. with some search on here, and help from you guys, I have arrived at the diagnostic decision, that the turbo is the culprit , I did notice some play in the compressor shaft, could possibly be worst on the rest not sure!

Where can I get one?
How much?
How hard is it to do it from the top, without dropping the engine etc?
Any of you feel like you can do it for a good price?

Any help is appreciated.

Engine is APY. so not sure if the K04 is 022 or 023. does it matter any ways?

Have a look at this mate. This is a thread on a K04 change I have just finished. Some pics in there which may be interesting.

This is the way I choose to change 1 K04 on an S3. Head removal I feel is by far the easiest way. They are such a fiddle to do, even with the head off!
My best advice for you is keep an eye on ebay for a low mileage K04, or a recon.

EDIT: Adding the link I forgot because I'm a dilbert...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?93934-Welly-s-latest-S3-project

or if you can do without your car for a few days send the turbo of to CR for a rebuild.

or if you can do without your car for a few days send the turbo of to CR for a rebuild.

Slight cost difference there though - a low mileage second hand turbo will cost you about £300.

When I phoned Motors In Motion two weeks ago - they had a used one on the shelf for about £300.

www.motorsinmotion.co.uk or phone them: 01909 531537 /01909 531538.

However, if cost isn't that big a deal, and you can live without it, send it to CR indeed :icon_thumright:

CR Turbos also refurb turbos for a lot less than the cost of the hybrid....

<tuffty/>

Thank you all, well in a few weeks, I will try do what Welly did, but would take me about 5 times longer I guess, I will give CR a call see if they can do a nice price for a recon, and if their Hybrid isn't too far off, then I would be tempted to go that root as well, but don't have much money in hand, that&#8217;s why I am planning to it myself. 3&#8221; DP is already there if that worked out then all I would need in later dates would be a FMIC another remap.

I was inspired with Welly&#8217;s work, obviously badger 5 conversion on Speedy Steeve as well, but I am not an expert, so was wondering do I need new head gasket when it all goes back in? also with the timing belt, am I likely to mess it up! or does it have some sort of a guide or do I need markings.

Thank you all, well in a few weeks, I will try do what Welly did, but would take me about 5 times longer I guess, I will give CR a call see if they can do a nice price for a recon, and if their Hybrid isn't too far off, then I would be tempted to go that root as well, but don't have much money in hand, that’s why I am planning to it myself. 3” DP is already there if that worked out then all I would need in later dates would be a FMIC another remap.

I was inspired with Welly’s work, obviously badger 5 conversion on Speedy Steeve as well, but I am not an expert, so was wondering do I need new head gasket when it all goes back in? also with the timing belt, am I likely to mess it up! or does it have some sort of a guide or do I need markings.

Not going to lie to you bud, the timing belt isn't a hard thing to do really, a little mechanical knowledge required - BUT (and this is a big but) access is such a pain.

The engine mount has to be dropped - the support frame removed from the side of the block, before you can even put the new belt round or fit a new tensioner damper. And that is a biatch of the highest order.

That is he only really testing bit - the rest is just mecano.

Basic process is below - only in brief as it's a long old job! At least you have an idea though.

Disassembly:

Remove charge pipe. Remove cam belt cover (a pain). Time engine up using timing marks on the rocker cover and cam sprocket. Undo all ancillary parts - i.e all parts that are on top of, around and connected to the head. Unbolt turbo from exhaust mani. Unbolt head. Remove head. Remove turbo oil and coolant lines from top and underside of turbo. Undo turbo support bracket (that's fun too). Unbolt downpipe. Remove turbo.

Reassembly:

Fit turbo. Bolt up downpipe with new gasket. Connect to turbo support bracket. Bolt up oil and coolant lines with new gaskets and banjo oil seals (Audi dealer only). Fit new head gasket (correct way up - LOL). Fit new head bolts. Torque to 40nm, 60nm, 90 degrees, 90 degrees (there is normally a sheet in with the head gasket to show you the order). Fit rocker cover. Support engine with a jack/axle stand. Unbolt off side engine mount. Remove engine mount rubber. Remove the three 16mm bolts that bolt the frame to the engine. Remove from the bottom (also fun). Fit new tensioner damper. Loosly fit timing belt where it should be. Refit engine mount frame. Time engine up. Fit belt. Turn by hand to ensure no contact. Reassemble everything else in the order it came off.

Not massively hard, but time consuming, fiddly and thoroughly annoying at times.

Get a Haynes manual or equivalent to help you.

And review this thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2840728. The engine bay not exactly the same - IE turbo pipework is different, and a few other differences - but the basic principle is the same. That shows you how to time up a 1.8t engine.

Don't be fooled though mate, this is not an easy peasy job. You will get tired, frustrated, cut, bashed, achy and thoroughly ****** off.

But the satisfaction is Gooooooooood!

Last edited:
Good luck, I guess a refrub turbo for now!

Can you give more info on the car? It has a Revo map IIRC? What mileage and what's your driving style? I guess a hybrid could be better?

CR turbos quote'd me 400 to rebuild to standard spec and you have the piece of mind of better bearings

When I get bored there is the option of yet a larger turbo or an R32 engine with a turbo :icon_thumright:

Not sure if a twin turbo 4 pot is a worthwhile project tbh so wouldn't really consider it... far better/easier ways to get loads of power :)

<tuffty/>

Thank you all, Welly in your thread the pictures looked so easy! now with the write up I am slightly concerned.:faint:

What about the turbo number? which one did you get for your APY? was it 022 or 023 does it matter which you put on!