Another wheel alignment?

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Chaps what ya reckon

As most of you will know my gearbox has been repaired recently, my thoughts are that they will have had to drop the subframe to get it out.....would you have another alignment done as i only had this done by JBS the month before?

Tim

I wouldent bother unless your getting pulling to one side when your breaking and if your steering wheel is siting straight along with the wheels you should be fine mate
check the inside of your tyres and see if your geting uneven ware if not I think you should be good

Tim, for the cost I would spend 10p on a phone call and ask. If they have dropped the subframe and change settings/positioning, then yes. But if nothing has been touched, no.

How much was the alignment by JBS pal?

JD

think it was just under £50 mate...... havent noticed anything majorely weird just a slight judder over say 70mph..... trouble is i had two new pirelli's fitted last month at a cost of £130 a corner, dont really wana risk them :)

ill ring JBS laters i think to check

I fault it would only be put out if they touched your track rod ends or steering rack

well i dunno..... if you touch the wishbones then it needs redoing defo, im just thinking subframe will have been dropped, along with a few other major components

yeah was thinking that really.... just small chance that it is unnecessary

Moving the subframe can end up altering the whole front end geometry tbh... it may only be by a small amount but it will effect camber, caster and toe....

An alignment check is typically free so worth the effort IMO, getting the work done is the expensive bit... if you take it back to the place you had it done they may even sort it all for a nominal fee tbh..

<tuffty/>

Tim, just spoken to Seb at JBS (what a legend, talked through the package for CC remap etc, oops, must not spend!).

Price is 45+VAT. If you're around in the next few weeks I'll be going down? Gimme a buzz chap!

will do matey, let me know when you get it booked and ill get it wacked in.....

Cheers Tufts, ill ring JBS to see if they can check to be on safe side, actually may do some more bushes before taking it, is it recommend to have another realignment after doing the rear wishbone bushes?

will do matey, let me know when you get it booked and ill get it wacked in.....

Cheers Tufts, ill ring JBS to see if they can check to be on safe side, actually may do some more bushes before taking it, is it recommend to have another realignment after doing the rear wishbone bushes?

Worn rear bushes change suspension geometry on the back.... So again, I would!

make sure you fit the solid ones and not the ones with voids in...

<tuffty/>

Is the traction control light permanently on? The steering angle sensor is a very sensitive thing and can throw a fault code if the geometry is even slightly out.

it sshown that fault before, picked up only when PaulS3 plugged his full vagcom in, my trial version didnt spot it though.....light comes on occasionally but not as often as it used to

I wouldnt pay every time I changed a suspension part unless my alignment was noticeable out or you was getting uneven tyre wear. Its a road car, will most likely always be out slightly.

Get the tracking done if you have new tyres. Your alignment can be knocked out by hitting a bump or kerb hard. Most drivers wouldnt even tell the difference.

I would get it re-aligned if I had all new suspension, not over bushes or dropping the subframe unless it was noticeable.

cheers Nattie, its not terrible by any means....... im gonna replace the rear bushes then have it done again i reckon.... ive replaced all the ARB bushes since the last alignment which was done after the new tyres so be worth while doin using your methodology - cheers doood

Reading all the above, would rather spend £45 on it rather than £200 on new Tyres.