Brakes not Breaks

Danny Cawsey

Cawsey
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive ordered some Mintex rear discs and pads as was just woundering how hard it is to change the pads,

does it mean re bleeding the lines?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a fairly easy job, just unbolt the calliper, remove the pads, use a G-Clamp to push the piston back in, fit the new pads, refit the calliper, check all bolts are secure, and then carefully bed in the new pads. Unless you have removed the callipers from the brake lines you shouldnt need to bleed them. Note however you may need to remove some brake fluid if the old pads were very worn as when you push the pistons back they will displace fluid into the reservoir.

Hope this helps.

Nige

you need to screw the piston in whilst pushing it in

caliper wind back tools available from good motor factors

no need to bleed the system to change disks/pads
check fluid resevoir level aint brimmed before pushing the pistons back in (the fluid has to return somewhere!!)

I highly recommend going to halfrauds and buying the caliper tool as its a mare to wind the piston back in on the rear. Its a Laser universal tool and saved me lots of head aches after spending 3 hours trying to do it without!

I highly recommend going to halfrauds and buying the caliper tool as its a mare to wind the piston back in on the rear. Its a Laser universal tool and saved me lots of head aches after spending 3 hours trying to do it without!

I've got a Draper one which has also been fantastic. Well worth the money IMO.

Will be doing this myself soon.

Stupid question, how does the winding tool work?

yeh i had apec brakes from motorserv on my old pug. They were crap heat fade after medium braking. I thought i werent actually gonna stop at times!

Glad I've not gone down that route then.

Still have an issue. I want the front and rear brakes to look the same, so think I will just have to buy Black Diamond rear discs, since I will be buying those on the front as well. OCD is expensive.

Yeah, but I want the design to be the same. Tim, you're usually worse than me. You should know! What are you running lad, Brembos?