Chris NottAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,320

    Optimum alloy size/handling?

    Looking at getting some lightweight competition alloys for my s3 although they only come as big as 17".What is the standard 17" alloy offset and width?Would i be better with 18",not really concerned with huge alloys as long as it handles well.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Wilmslow Cheshire
    Posts
    336

    Re: Optimum alloy size/handling?

    well , at least i have some advantages over single piece jobs ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

  4. #3
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,320

    Re: Optimum alloy size/handling?

    Team dynamics racing rims are 8.2kg for 7.5x18
    oz superturismos are 8.3kg for 8X18

    Would there be alot of difference between 7.5 and 8?

  5. #4
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385

    Re: Optimum alloy size/handling?

    [ QUOTE ]
    Ryanc said:
    Team dynamics racing rims are 8.2kg for 7.5x18
    oz superturismos are 8.3kg for 8X18

    Would there be alot of difference between 7.5 and 8?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    With regard to the width...the 8" are just perfect for a tweaked S3...believe me, they juswork. On a 7.5" you have too much sidewall movememt.
    Go for the 8"s with 225 tyres - no wider - and it'll behave well.

    What about Superlaggeras? (sp?) Are they still being made?...they were even lighter I seem to recall.

    As something to compare to:
    I just nipped out to the garage and weighed a bare BBS RSII 8" x 18" - it weighs 12.3 Kg!
    And that wheel / tyre combination is lighter than the standard 17s!

    Be aware that light wheels are often weak, and can break in an accident. Out of the two you've mentioned, I'd ops for the OZs as I think they'd be stronger.

  6. #5
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385

    Re: Optimum alloy size/handling?

    [ QUOTE ]
    jimboA3 said:
    well , at least i have some advantages over single piece jobs ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

    [/ QUOTE ]

    It really depends on many things:
    Weight
    Strength (cheap split rims are no stronger...they are often weaker and heavier!)
    Width (many are too wide, or the wrong offset to offer and advantage)

  7. #6
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Wilmslow Cheshire
    Posts
    336

    Re: Optimum alloy size/handling?

    They certainly werent cheap ! lol!
    And they are definatley tooooo wide and the wrong offset ! I bought them for looks though !
    10x17 on the back offset 22
    9 x 17 on the front offset 28
    215/45/17's all round ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

  8. #7
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385

    Re: Optimum alloy size/handling?

    [ QUOTE ]
    jimboA3 said:
    They certainly werent cheap ! lol!


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Just because you paid a lot for them, doesn't mean they aren't cheaply made!
    It's the quality of the alloy, design, and manufacturing process that makes a wheel light and strong.


    [ QUOTE ]

    And they are definatley tooooo wide and the wrong offset ! I bought them for looks though !
    10x17 on the back offset 22
    9 x 17 on the front offset 28
    215/45/17's all round ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Groan...The so called 'Euro' look huh?

  9. #8
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Wilmslow Cheshire
    Posts
    336

    Re: Optimum alloy size/handling?

    [ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    jimboA3 said:
    They certainly werent cheap ! lol!


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Just because you paid a lot for them, doesn't mean they aren't cheaply made!
    It's the quality of the alloy, design, and manufacturing process that makes a wheel light and strong.


    [ QUOTE ]

    And they are definatley tooooo wide and the wrong offset ! I bought them for looks though !
    10x17 on the back offset 22
    9 x 17 on the front offset 28
    215/45/17's all round ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Groan...The so called 'Euro' look huh?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    From what ive read and heard "RH" wheels are very well made - lets hope i never find out if they arent !
    And yes the euro look is the way forward - less is more , i consider it to be the mature way to modify a car [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO