Thick Sludgey Oil.

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi.
I changed my oil today (as my boss was away)
But, it was really thick and sludgey... Almost Tar like.

Problem is, i only changed it 900miles ago (Oct '09) using 5/40 fully synthetic.

When i did it in october, it was the same... But i assumed the previous owner hadnt changed it for a while.

Im half tempted to run an oil flush next time (forte or similar) as i would in a customers car, however im worried it may cause smoking/ burning oil.

i recently changed 2 split breather pipes - not sure if this could be part of the cause.

Any ideas on causes/ cures?.

regards
Callum

Ps. Also found a knacker rear Anti-roll Bar link... ordered a pair from GSF (£8 each) are these simple enough to renew?... unbolt shock/ nop nut... refit?

Callum, shame on you for not doing more miles buddy. I've used engine flush on my previous A4 1.8T Sport and it was fine got rid of a load of muck when i first got it with no aparrent ill effects 4 years & 60k miles later. Short journeys as I'm sure you know are not good for engines that like to get nice and warm, so that could be the cause. If you want to lend me the keys old mate I'll glad add a few thousand miles a month for you lol should keep the oil from congealing again.:sly:

Can do if you like Nige... Bare in mind my MAF's dodgy so averaging <20mpg.
I went to Wadebridge at the weekend which cost around £40 in fuel lol

Blimy, even when my MAF was underreading it was doing 28mpg under 20 is horrific. Hope you sort it soon. On a plus note I fitted the Black diamond disks and Ferodo DS2500 pads last week, definately the set-up to go for when you do yours.

Careful with the BD discs buddy, ive had them on previous cars.
Once they wear down a bit you get stress crack between the dimples.

However, i will be fitting ds2500's front and rear.

Youll be fine mine, used the forte flush and treatment on mine and car never felt better.

The ones I fitted are groved not drilled or dimpled, have read that the drilled ones crack so that why went for the groved ones. Will keep an eye on them though.

Also heard BD's and EBC's dimpled disc's can crack or warp which is why im glad nige went for grooved :)

Nope, Q8 formula Excel (as were on contract with Q8 oils.)

What oil was it that you put in 900miles ago? Wasn't synta gold by any chance was it?

Is there known issues with synta gold? Mines due an oil change and i normally use the gold, the last 2 oil changes the oil looked ok.

Drop a bottle of Forte flush in, let it run for a while, put a fresh filter and oil in. Maybe the car doesn't like Q8 lol

Funny thing oil, i used to use Mobil 1 0w40 which went black, changed to Mobil 10w40 and that stays golden. Oil going black isn't a bad sign though, most oils do this but still maintain their properties/grade. I just like the oil on the dipstick to be golden at all times:)

Is there known issues with synta gold? Mines due an oil change and i normally use the gold, the last 2 oil changes the oil looked ok.

When i bought the car a few years ago i tried synta gold and it went black pretty quick, did the same on my dads B5. No known issue, loads of people swear by it but i personally prefer mobil:icon_thumright:

i used quantum platinum nowadays, that stuff comes out the drum darker than other oil tbh

not really a sign of it being worn though. i f i could still find quantum gold id be buying that by the drum instead

Meh. Oil is oil.

I've used a million brands! lol.

Engine flush it, get the gunk out of the engine. Also, why not fire the car up 5 mins before you leave in the morning and evening to aid warming up?

Meh. Oil is oil.

I've used a million brands! lol.

Engine flush it, get the gunk out of the engine. Also, why not fire the car up 5 mins before you leave in the morning and evening to aid warming up?

I really should walk the 5 minute drive to work :( Might just do, now the whether is nice!

Its all fine and well starting the car 5 mins before you leave if you have a private drive etc, what do you do if you park on the street? Also insurance doesn't cover theft of a car if the car is on and nobody is in it :p

I read somewhere in the manual not to leave the car idling when its cold , but drive off straight away. I do this but dont rev over 3000 for first 10 min of driving.

I read somewhere in the manual not to leave the car idling when its cold , but drive off straight away. I do this but dont rev over 3000 for first 10 min of driving.

Yeah, I've read that in there too. I just choose to ignore it. The reason being that a) I like the heaters warm when I get in in the winter and b) I like the seats to be warm when I get in in the winter!!

I really should walk the 5 minute drive to work :( Might just do, now the whether is nice!

Thats shorter than my work journey... 0.9mile but theres 3 roundabouts.
Ive got a (cycle) bike to use for the warm weather, just need to find the effort to wake up 5 minutes earlier now.