Disable auto range adjust, xenons.

Deanphoto

fell down the stairs :(
Reaction score
Website
www.deanphoto.co.uk
After a few months of an intermittent issue with the head lights pointing down, they are now constantly down. I've had the issue looked at quickly by the local indy but to no avail and I'm fed up of not being able to see correctly. I know that you can disable the auto adjust feature, I can't just figure how from the searches I've found.

I've searched high and low for an in-depth (read: a post with pictures) for a how-to on 'disabling' the auto range adjust on the headlights but I can't seem to find anything that I can really follow. From what I can gather, you unclip some white clips, then adjust the range using the 2 adjusters on top of each headlight. So, these white clips, where are they and how do I unclip them?

This is what I've been to come up with so far in my quest:

1. Exploded view, but not the rear so I'm guessing the clip isn't shown?
4535195233_ed8464c094_b.jpg

2. The adjusters. Pretty simple this bit.
4535195225_c52dc76de7_b.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated, pretty pictures are needed as I'm mechanically inept.

Last edited:
Would be nice to know, need to get my car on vag-com to try and adjust the lights, if that doesnt work ill be looking todo this.

Would be nice to know, need to get my car on vag-com to try and adjust the lights, if that doesnt work ill be looking todo this.

I've had mine done via VAGCOM, put into learn mode etc etc. The lights were fine until I loaded the boot :( Worth a go though, it worked on my TT.

You checked to see if the front and rear levelling arms are ok and not broken?

You checked to see if the front and rear levelling arms are ok and not broken?
The garage did, they said they looked pretty bad so they greased up all the moving parts, still no luck though. I just don't really want to throw money at something that can be diy'd for free (at the mo, anyway!).

I had mine done buddy at a indy... They just unplugged a loom going to the back of the light I believe going to the motor? Can't see it in your diagram and then just adjusted it as you say using the adjustment screws. Must admit I didn't do it but I would think it's pretty straight forward to do. BUT they aligned the beam properelly on the machine so it was level and not to high and would pass the MOT. Not had an issue since. Like you I could only see about 3foot in front of me. HTH

Item 7 in the diagram is the leveling motor, simply unplug the lead to this when the lights are at a good height. The lead clip is the same as all the other electrical clips in the engine bay so you can practice taking one off that easily accessible to get the hang of it.
Or try this: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?60250

Thanks for the replies.

I've unplugged the connector to the motors and they no longer move at all, which is perfect. I just need it to get a little darker outside to adjust the lights before having them done properly on an MOT bay. When doing this I'll take some photos.

Super, no worries. Sorted, I was amazed on the difference it made mine had been bad for a while! I think it's more likely you're motors have seized like mine... not really worth getting new ones my lights have been fine since. Ok they don't autolevel when you're going over a speed hump big deal. Just don't point them to high in case you load the boot...

Yeah get some pics up of what you disconnected etc.

The S3 Lights are not range adjustable. They are height adjustable only.

Mine were doing exactly the same, dipping, raising and staying dipped most of the time.

I unplugged two white connectors, one on each light for the adjustment motors and all was fixed. Adjusted the lights myself and all is ok.

I am looking to get mine fixed soon though, so I would imagine I'd need the sensors front and rear??

G

If they're working and the beams fine now I personally wouldn't bother getting the sensors fixed. Chances are the motors will die after a while and sensors are blinking expensive from what I remember plus you need to get them set up! Save the wonga they're working lol! <just my opinion>