Ball joints, cv boots, bushes & bearings

mattyboy199

Reaction score
As title does anyone know how hard or have a guide to do em ?

the bushes would be for the front Wishbone Rear Bush & the bearings for the rear.

thanks

Matt

ball joints are easy , cv boots a little harder but ok if your used to spanner work just get audi kit imo

never done a bearing on the audi but might be part of hub some are some are not

i assume if your doing a balljoint its quite straight forward to do the boot also

If you done cv joints in the past its straight forwad, Id recommend the right tool for the metal clips on the boot they can be got for £8 for a sealey tool. You have to disconect ball joint to do cv boot. Think the center bolt is a 17mm allen key sorry if a bit sketchy I then to do things on the fly

could do with a guide really, i know once i get down to it there ll be no problem however just need more some guidance.

I've just had to replace a cv boot on my A3. It's a bit of a pain, but can be done in a couple of hours.

I should have taken some pictures, Sorry

But can give a rough guide, it's not that difficult just fiddly and typically the lower the cost of the part the harder it is to replace. Not even sure if its the best method but it worked for me anyway.

CV boots, come in a kit form. Got mine from Eurocarparts, £10 each for the kit, this includes a Boot, clips, bolt and grease. You will need both the inner and outer, if you are replacing the outer boot and only the inner if that one has gone, basically to get the outer of one you need to remove the inner one to get to it.

Also while you're at it, you may as well change the wishbone bushes. THey are very easy to get too once the suspension arm etc is out the way.

Basically you need to remove the drive shaft to get to the boots.

1) If you have a wheel with a centre cap, remove this. using a 30mm socket undo the centre bolt holding the prop shaft, then remove the wheel and jack the car up.

2) Compress the springs( not sue if this is really required but certainly helps and stops the risk of the shocks kicking back at you and undo the top suspension mount.

3) Undo the the steering control rod and ARB

4) Undo the 3 small bolts in a V shape holding the lower wish bone on.

5) Undo the brake caliper, abs sensor and secure up so not to damage the pipe.

6) Remove the whole suspension arm including damper.

7) The other end of the prop shaft is connect to the gear box by 6 Hex screws, Undo these with the appropiate allen key with an extension. You may need to turn the engine over as only some of the bolts are accessible at once.

8) once the 6 bolts are undone you can now remove the prop shaft.

9) At the end which goes into the gearbox there is a metal dome cap, with 3 clips fold over the end of the prop shaft, Prise these open and remove the cap, noting that the dents they are located in.

10) push the prop shaft up to expose the end of the shaft, remove the grease and you will see a C clip on the end. Remove this and gently tep the end of the prop shaft off. It's on a teethed spine and will come off with a gently tap.

11) not you can remove both the CV gaitors and replace using the clips included and the grease supplied.

12) putting back to together is just the opposite, Howver don't worry too much about the domed cap mentioned in stage 9 being as tight as it was when you took it off as it's compressed when you bolt the shaft back up.

If I've missed anything sorry but hopefully it'll get you started.

rear bearing was

wheel, calliper, disc off

undo the hubnut and then the hub/bearing can be removed.

put the abs ring on the new hub (if it didnt come with one) and then reverse the above process.

yuoll need a big torque wrench/breaker bar to get the old bearing/hub off though

Good guide above, although it can be done much much easier I think.

I replaced my CV Boot and Ball joint last week, this is how I did it.

removed the wheel centre cap

undo the bolt connecting the drive shaft to the hub then the wheel bolts

jack up the car

remove the driveshaft from the hub

undo the 3 bolts at the bottom of the wishbone (hub side)

undo the bolt joining the ball joint to the hub (may need a ball joint seperating tool, I did)

Ball joint should be free to remove.

now remove the old cv boot and clean out the old grease

Using the cv boot cones you can buy, cover it in MR Sheen polish so its really easy to slide the boot over joint (make sure the boot is inside out)

Once the new boot is over the joint, fill it with grease

attach the boot with the clips provided

Put it all back together (do not tighten the ball joint don to much as it will split)

Thats how I did mine. real easy Job done.

Nathan

I ve had a quote for the following work

2 x ball joints supply & fit
1 x cv boot supply & fit
2 x rear wheel bearings supply & fit
Fit front ARB

total £620

I think thats excessive its a private job no friend of a friend (techie)

well genuine ball joints and bearings are pretty expensive. Its all pretty easy, Iv never done wheel bearings but dont think they are too bad.

depends what you class as exspensive vwspares do them for about £25 per side, rear wheel bearing are a similar price cv boots are £30 max

I paid £10 for my cv boot kit. Ball joint £23 from euro parts.

You could do all that in a afternoon. I havent changed a front arb but shouldnt be to hard, most people drop the subframe though.

yeah i totally agree i could probably do all that its just having good guidance like a 'how to help me' would probably need a torque wrenchas well & bearin press (which i havent a clue about)

get a copy of elsa off ebay.
they are so cheap its only the price of a few pints. with the age of our cars we don't even need the latest versions.

does elsa win tell you what tools are needed & providetorque settings etc ?

My front drivers boots has sprung a leak / ******* grease everywhere.

GREAT! not :|

Are they the same CV boots used on A3's? or do you need an S3 boot?

Get one from Autoparts you say?

Or direct from Audi? (and if Buying one direct from Audi)- Will it come with the same kit/ grease/ clips etc needed to replace?

Thanks,

Joe

hey i dont even know what sort of grease i should be filling the boot with

My front drivers boots has sprung a leak / ******* grease everywhere.

GREAT! not :|

Are they the same CV boots used on A3's? or do you need an S3 boot?

Get one from Autoparts you say?

Or direct from Audi? (and if Buying one direct from Audi)- Will it come with the same kit/ grease/ clips etc needed to replace?

Thanks,

Joe

Audi ones come with everything needed inc new bolt, clip and cip clips and are about £27

i need to get the tracking done anyway, infact i need to sort alot of stuff out

does elsa win tell you what tools are needed & providetorque settings etc ?

Elsa does give you torque figures and tightening sequences where required however doesn't always tell you the tools you need. It does show the audi specific tools codes however won't say like "10mm socket, No2 phillips " etc...

I got my cv boot kit from audi. they are cheap as chips and you get the boot, clips, grease, spring clip, and washers.

If you get one elsewhere and dopn;t get the grease halfords do a big tub of it called cv grease, guess that is to avoid confusion...

Anyone know the torque setting for the ball joint where it connects to the hub. I done mine up to tight I think because its split already.

Nathan