Badger5Volks Autos
    Chugger

Status

plastic welding S3 bumper or getting a new one

my car will soon be going in for some bodywork repair and almost half the car being resprayed. Main problem seems to be the front bumper which has a nice crack in it. Iv heard of these being plastic welded, but the guy in the body shop said the newer bumpers wont always weld, depends on the type of plastic. Anybody ever tried or had this done?

this is the only option, as i dont want it to crack if the bumper is ever removed. If not im on the look out for another bumper. Any idea on how much genuine ones go for new?
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

2. # ADS
    ADS

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    how bad is the crack?? the bodyshop guy should be best placed to make a judgement really as its him your be returning to with it being cracked. i have had my headlight washer jets plastic welded out and the body shop i use are very good especially with feed back on wether planned work will last or fail.

Audi newbie

Status
    When I was at my local bodyshop the other day, he had a S3 in there which he had done quite a bit of plastic welding on the bumper due to cracks. Once all filled, flatted and painted, you couldnt tel anything had been done. All depends how good the bodyshop is
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/signaturepics/sigpic43927_1.gif

2003 ASZ 1.9 TDI Quattro Sport 130

Chugger

Status
    Well iv never used the guy before but he did give a good impression. Said he had plastic welded before but some plastics wont weld, which i can understand and its the same in my job, alot of non-abs plastics wont fusion bond. Thats all i needed to know really. Its a 3" crack just below the headlight.

Going to get some other shops to quote on the work, just to compare really and view their other work. The car is having the whole nearside resprayed plus the bumper, bonnet and offside wing. plus a bit of filling

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Well had mine plastic welded (rear bumper) and all is fine, cant tell it ever got hit .
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstractor View Post
    Well iv never used the guy before but he did give a good impression. Said he had plastic welded before but some plastics wont weld, which i can understand and its the same in my job, alot of non-abs plastics wont fusion bond. Thats all i needed to know really. Its a 3" crack just below the headlight.

Going to get some other shops to quote on the work, just to compare really and view their other work. The car is having the whole nearside resprayed plus the bumper, bonnet and offside wing. plus a bit of filling
    just a full respray then lol

Chugger

Status
    well a good 50%, want to get rid of all stonechips