AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Advice with vibration....

Hello, Im having a problem with my 2003 S3, Its only 40,000 Miles , so, when I drive at 75mph I have a vibration in the steering wheel, I think that its because my wheels need to be balanced, but also when I brake in speeds from 60 to 40 mph I also have a vibration in the steering wheel, but I dont have the vibrations below 40mph, this can be also caused by the unbalanced wheels?

Thanks
    Last edited by mingyar; 14th April 2010 at 13:38.

2. # ADS
    ADS

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    First point, don't drive at 75mph?

On a more serious note, sounds like tracking to me rather than wheel balance. You are more likely to get vibrations all the time if the wheels are not balanced correctly.

When was the last time you had the car setup/tracked?

Also, re the braking question, checked your pads/discs? That is the most likely cause I would have thought.

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    balancing i would say i used to get them bang on 80mph all the time when i had part worn tyres that couldnt be balanced. if ur tyre wear is even then definatly balancing. if your tyre wear is uneven then get the tracking done

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Status
    Tracking will affect the car (with vibrations) regardless of tyre wear Dave mate. But camber would be the usual cause of uneven wear.

6th Gear

Status
    tracking does not create vibrations

unblanced wheels will cause vibrations

as for the braking. warped discs perhaps

get the balancing done on the front wheels to start wtih though

2nd Gear

Status
    Secound matt82 on this one

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt82 View Post
    tracking does not create vibrations

unblanced wheels will cause vibrations

as for the braking. warped discs perhaps

get the balancing done on the front wheels to start wtih though
    Of course bad tracking creates vibrations. If the wheels are not aligned properly, it causes exactly the same issue as an unbalanced wheel.

If your wheels are pointing in different directions, as the incorrectly angled wheel turns it will pull the car slightly to one side or the other. At the same time the other side will be doing the same.

thats me

Status
    first guess id get the wheels balanced,
    red to red black to black blue to bits

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    it could actually be both, if it is speed related usually tracking.....

tracking usually is steering wheel shake, vibrations can be any wheel and usually rear
    Last edited by s3dave; 14th April 2010 at 17:33.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the answers, I will take the car to balance this weekend, I was wondering if maybe it need new bushes?

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JD09 View Post
    Tracking will affect the car (with vibrations) regardless of tyre wear Dave mate. But camber would be the usual cause of uneven wear.
    i have never experienced steering vibration due to tracking its always due to buckled wheels or balancing issues, ive seen lots of people mention tracking as a problem but ive never seen anyone go get tracking done and its fixed the problem also ive never done traking to fix the problem before either. the wheels would have to be massivly out of alignment to be a factor as in noticably out possibly due to accident/impact damage,
    camber causes very little extra tyre wear also unless excessive camber is used its more to do with tracking as the wheels will scrub as your pulling away or braking more with them being either toeing in or out, i have 1.5 degree camber up front and tracking 2degrees out and my tyres have started wearing on the inner edges where as the rear setup is more camber at -2degrees with tracking parrell no tyre wear at all

2nd Gear

Status
    It's not tracking if ur brakeing and it's pulling to one side than it could be tracking
    get them balanced I had the same problem when I had a tyre changed they never balanced the wheel propley