crank sensor fitting guide

ex_scoobydoo

Reaction score
hi as the title says, i had the car on ramps yesterday, thought it would be a simple job, but i cant even see or locate the crank sensor, http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?93273-problems-starting&p=948636
in that thread shows a picture of were it is supposedly sat, i have a 2000 apy s3.
i cant see nothing through the mass of pipes wires and everything else, its like a wild jungle.
has anyone done this job who can advise the best way to get to the crank sensor, or have any diagrams of what needs to be removed to access it, before we start to strip the car,
thanks

its directly below the oil filter about 1-2 inch.....if you remove the front tray you will be able to see it, i worked on mine whilst on axle stands, you will prob need to remove all the gubbings around the dipstick tube so you can get your hands down to unscrew the single nut....then get underneath to work it free from the block....this isnt easy

silly question, but is the front engine mount in the way too?

There isn't a front engine mount on an 2000 S3... they use one on the gearbox, one on the cambelt end of the engine and a dogbone mount underneath... IIRC all A3's/S3's use this setup... 1.8t Ibizas have front engine mounts though...

<tuffty/>

as tufftys says, and if you look there is no front engine mount on mk4 platform cars
one m6 bolt, pull it out (tight) and replace.. simples.. aside from all the crap in the way of course.

have fun

Sorry for the thread revival, but seems pointless starting a new one.
I'm looking at tackling this tomorrow but I can't seem to find a good guide for the 1.8t. Anyone know of a good one?
I apologise for the stupid question in advance, but when the sensor is removed, will oil p!ss out of the block until I've got the new one in? Or am I just being a fool thinking that?
Thanks,
Callum.

Cheers for letting me know. Would of hated to of been on with it then lost a load of oil and had to walk to go buy some more! haha

I did this a couple of days ago since i have been having an error code for this sensor a couple of times. I had the car on a lift then i unscrewed the oil filter and took the sensor out. Still not much room but it worked.
Unfortunately i ordered the wrong sensor so i just cleaned the old one and put it back in. Have to reorder now :).

Fitted mine today, didn't remove the oil filter but would of been so much easier. Took me about an hour and half with a fair bit of swearing.