Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Order both and be broke all month.

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm.

I really want one, and debating on biting the bullet and just ordering one today.

I was going to buy a boost gauge for the S3, but this is just a million times cooler, and a million times more functional.

Here they are: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....333423&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1369wt_939

Thoughts?

The problem being that I also need new brakes REALLY badly. I bought new discs a while back from ECP (cheap ones) and I've fractured them under heavy braking. So I'm also going to spend £170 on new drilled and grooved front and rear discs, and new front and rear pads.

So that'll be like £400 quid I haven't got! :(

Why can't things just be free??

£170 on new pads and discs, all round?!

I spent £200 on just front pads and fluid (DS2500s and Motul 600)!

I also want a liquid gauge really badly, but I guess you can't do without brakes!

Just remember that the liquid only reads boost from the MAP sensor (although it does have an AGU mode) so will not read vacuum and boost readings are limited to the max of the MAP sensor (1.54bar)

I love my Liquid and use it in multigauge most of the time... Not sure of the accuracy of the AGU mode for boost but it does read vacuum too... personally you can't beat a good mechanical boost gauge but I wouldn't not have a Liquid either :)

Next time you are down the unit I'll show you around it if you want... Not sure what nights I am there this week though..

<tuffty/>

Brakes first.

No wait, Turbo for the new project first, then sell, then have loaaadds of moula to spend on your real project!

Brakes first.

No wait, Turbo for the new project first, then sell, then have loaaadds of moula to spend on your real project!

Thats already paid for mate, as are all the fitting bits and bobs. All should be here today with a bit of luck! Got to pop up to Audi later to get all the banjo washers and turbo gaskets, and Euro Car Parts have dispatched my order for everything else yesterday afternoon.

I'm interested to see the turbo when it arrives... And see if it's really been reconditioned! lol

I got the liquid gauge but mountable on the windscreen. The windscreen mount was clearly an after thought though and is pretty rubbish. The gauge does seem to fit quite nicely on top of the steering wheel base though whithout blocking the dials.

I didnt fancy the vent gauge as would effect the heating. Nice gadget though, easier than vagcom.

Hmmmmmm.

The problem being that I also need new brakes REALLY badly. I bought new discs a while back from ECP (cheap ones) and I've fractured them under heavy braking. So I'm also going to spend £170 on new drilled and grooved front and rear discs, and new front and rear pads.

U wanna get some nice 2 piece Ap Racing's like ive got dont suffer with that then lol ...(Bit more than £170 though)

When u looking to grab the Black hoses/yellow spring m8 got them here for you when youre ready...

Pete

I love my Liquid gauge...

CRACKING bit of kit,and highly recomended to all considering 1...

Pete...

do you guys hardwire the liquid guage ? I heard of reflection problems at night when in the vent and wiring I did not fancy iy hanging out of my obd port.

go for brakes

that's my reservation with the liquid, would the cable be permanently hanging out of the OBD port by your right knee? I'm not sure I could put up with that myself!

Other than that, I love the idea, but Like Minty I wouldn't want it in place of a vent either, so I think I'd give it a miss

do you guys hardwire the liquid guage ? I heard of reflection problems at night when in the vent and wiring I did not fancy iy hanging out of my obd port.

go for brakes

that's my reservation with the liquid, would the cable be permanently hanging out of the OBD port by your right knee? I'm not sure I could put up with that myself!

Other than that, I love the idea, but Like Minty I wouldn't want it in place of a vent either, so I think I'd give it a miss

I hard wired mine in and fitted switches so that I switch between the OBD port and liquid without powering the Liquid down as you have to enter a password every time you plug it in. I also fitted a switch to cut power if I needed to 're-boot' the liquid...

More in my build thread here....
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showth...s-S3-minor-modding-thread&p=908396#post908396

<tuffty/>

I wouldn't bother with liquid gauge, seems a bit of a gimic. Surely nothing better than a mechanical boost guage and would be alot cheaper.

oh my, I think that is little OTT, is all that really needed? Im just failing to see the point. I think my girlfriend would get fed up and dump me for me showing her my 'torque line' or the n75 position. I think that money could be much better spent. All this is my own opinion of course and i represent nobody else on AS.net lol

I hard wired mine in and fitted switches so that I switch between the OBD port and liquid without powering the Liquid down as you have to enter a password every time you plug it in. I also fitted a switch to cut power if I needed to 're-boot' the liquid... <tuffty/>

as tufftys mine is hard wired in...

I just poped the plug inside the dash... Removed the glove box,and its all tucked up nicley in there... No wires anywhere..

Pete..

aint that screen a little small for the price of the thing? Personally i think its a bit of a gimmic. border lineing dangerous to maybe?

Not at all... It does serve a purpose,and does what its men to do well.. What do you want?? a 32inch flat screen TV bolted to your A-piller??? lol...

Its no more dangerous than skipping through a cd,looking at a sat nav,or looking at a standard boost gauge..

Pound for pound,what it does,imho its a cracking bit of kit...

Pete...

im not disputing its a good bit of kit. and obviously a 32" is just a dumb **** thing to say! lol I just think something with such a tiny screen, with so much info on it is pointless. If it was just a tad bigger, (say the size of a tomtom) it would be better. Its like looking at a mobile phone screen mounted in ya vent..

cd`s you dont stare at, tomtoms you glance at, as do you a standerd gauge. in the time you have glanced at those 3 your eyes would of only just focused on such a small screen.

I like my toys and gadgets etc, but that is not somthing i would think of till they revised it.

does anyone know if the liquid gauges are interchangable between different vehicles?
For example, if i bought one that had been used in a diesel leon it would work in my a3? are they all the same system, just different vents are used?

Also, is there an alternative out there? with a bigger display as ALPINE said?

does anyone know if the liquid gauges are interchangable between different vehicles?
For example, if i bought one that had been used in a diesel leon it would work in my a3? are they all the same system, just different vents are used?

The main difference is in the PCB used... round ones for cars like A3 8P and TT's etc, square PCB for S3's etc... all Liquids use the OBD port, the only real difference is funtionality varies across certian variants which is to do wiht the ECU's capabilities and sensors available to it... compatibility list and available functions are listed on the Race Diagnostics site...

In answer to the 'small screen' discussion, yes its small but no less difficult to read than any other 52mm gague IMO... I run both a mechanical boost gauge and the liquid and fine both as readable as each other as to be fair you only really glance at the thing anyway...

20100213_IMG_4005.jpg

<tuffty/>

If anyone else has the Liquid Race in their 8L S3's could they please post up a pic of how it looks once installed?

Tuffy. Could you please show me a photo of how the guage looks, the steering wheel in kinda in the way, just so I can see how good the finished product is?

Thanks!