Volks AutosMonster Motorsport

View Poll Results: To order, or not to order?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Order brakes

10 43.48%
  • Order Liquid Gauge

2 8.70%
  • Order both and be broke all month.

11 47.83%

Thread: S3 Liquid Gauge

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status

S3 Liquid Gauge

Hmmmmmm.

I really want one, and debating on biting the bullet and just ordering one today.

I was going to buy a boost gauge for the S3, but this is just a million times cooler, and a million times more functional.

Here they are: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_1369wt_939

Thoughts?

The problem being that I also need new brakes REALLY badly. I bought new discs a while back from ECP (cheap ones) and I've fractured them under heavy braking. So I'm also going to spend 170 on new drilled and grooved front and rear discs, and new front and rear pads.

So that'll be like 400 quid I haven't got!

Why can't things just be free??
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

2. # ADS
    ADS

Els
    Neutral

Status
    Safety first! Or something like that.
    Imola Yellow S3

Howdy

Status
    170 on new pads and discs, all round?!

I spent 200 on just front pads and fluid (DS2500s and Motul 600)!

I also want a liquid gauge really badly, but I guess you can't do without brakes!
    2001 Audi RS4 2.7 Bi-Turbo - Nogaro Blue

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Tahiti Blue

2003 Audi S3 - Dolphin Grey; SOLD!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JS1500 View Post
    I spent 200 on just front pads and fluid (DS2500s and Motul 600)!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Homer Simpson

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Just remember that the liquid only reads boost from the MAP sensor (although it does have an AGU mode) so will not read vacuum and boost readings are limited to the max of the MAP sensor (1.54bar)

I love my Liquid and use it in multigauge most of the time... Not sure of the accuracy of the AGU mode for boost but it does read vacuum too... personally you can't beat a good mechanical boost gauge but I wouldn't not have a Liquid either

Next time you are down the unit I'll show you around it if you want... Not sure what nights I am there this week though..

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Next time you are down the unit I'll show you around it if you want... Not sure what nights I am there this week though..
    Yes please mate, that would be top notch.
    Homer Simpson

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Brakes first.

No wait, Turbo for the new project first, then sell, then have loaaadds of moula to spend on your real project!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JD09 View Post
    Brakes first.

No wait, Turbo for the new project first, then sell, then have loaaadds of moula to spend on your real project!
    Thats already paid for mate, as are all the fitting bits and bobs. All should be here today with a bit of luck! Got to pop up to Audi later to get all the banjo washers and turbo gaskets, and Euro Car Parts have dispatched my order for everything else yesterday afternoon.

I'm interested to see the turbo when it arrives... And see if it's really been reconditioned! lol
    Homer Simpson

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Score!

Both then

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    I got the liquid gauge but mountable on the windscreen. The windscreen mount was clearly an after thought though and is pretty rubbish. The gauge does seem to fit quite nicely on top of the steering wheel base though whithout blocking the dials.

I didnt fancy the vent gauge as would effect the heating. Nice gadget though, easier than vagcom.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MintyS3 View Post
    ...Nice gadget though, easier than vagcom.
    ...though not a replacement for VAGCOM it should be noted for obvious reasons...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status
    ...though not a replacement for VAGCOM it should be noted for obvious reasons...

<tuffty/>
    As far as I'm concerned, there IS no substitute for VAG COM. LOL.
    Homer Simpson

2nd Gear

Status
    [QUOTE=Welly;960801]Hmmmmmm.

The problem being that I also need new brakes REALLY badly. I bought new discs a while back from ECP (cheap ones) and I've fractured them under heavy braking. So I'm also going to spend 170 on new drilled and grooved front and rear discs, and new front and rear pads.

U wanna get some nice 2 piece Ap Racing's like ive got dont suffer with that then lol ...(Bit more than 170 though)

When u looking to grab the Black hoses/yellow spring m8 got them here for you when youre ready...

Pete

1st Gear

Status
    I love my Liquid gauge...

CRACKING bit of kit,and highly recomended to all considering 1...

Pete...

Status
    do you guys hardwire the liquid guage ? I heard of reflection problems at night when in the vent and wiring I did not fancy iy hanging out of my obd port.

go for brakes

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    that's my reservation with the liquid, would the cable be permanently hanging out of the OBD port by your right knee? I'm not sure I could put up with that myself!

Other than that, I love the idea, but Like Minty I wouldn't want it in place of a vent either, so I think I'd give it a miss
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    do you guys hardwire the liquid guage ? I heard of reflection problems at night when in the vent and wiring I did not fancy iy hanging out of my obd port.

go for brakes
    that's my reservation with the liquid, would the cable be permanently hanging out of the OBD port by your right knee? I'm not sure I could put up with that myself!

Other than that, I love the idea, but Like Minty I wouldn't want it in place of a vent either, so I think I'd give it a miss

I hard wired mine in and fitted switches so that I switch between the OBD port and liquid without powering the Liquid down as you have to enter a password every time you plug it in. I also fitted a switch to cut power if I needed to 're-boot' the liquid...

More in my build thread here....
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...396#post908396

<tuffty/>

Chugger

Status
    I wouldn't bother with liquid gauge, seems a bit of a gimic. Surely nothing better than a mechanical boost guage and would be alot cheaper.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstractor View Post
    I wouldn't bother with liquid gauge, seems a bit of a gimic. Surely nothing better than a mechanical boost guage and would be alot cheaper.
    Watch this video on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoONTn1Y_w

The included functionality is incredible.
    Homer Simpson

Chugger

Status
    oh my, I think that is little OTT, is all that really needed? Im just failing to see the point. I think my girlfriend would get fed up and dump me for me showing her my 'torque line' or the n75 position. I think that money could be much better spent. All this is my own opinion of course and i represent nobody else on AS.net lol
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    I hard wired mine in and fitted switches so that I switch between the OBD port and liquid without powering the Liquid down as you have to enter a password every time you plug it in. I also fitted a switch to cut power if I needed to 're-boot' the liquid... <tuffty/>

as tufftys mine is hard wired in...

1st Gear

Status
    I just poped the plug inside the dash... Removed the glove box,and its all tucked up nicley in there... No wires anywhere..

Pete..

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

Status
    aint that screen a little small for the price of the thing? Personally i think its a bit of a gimmic. border lineing dangerous to maybe?

Now to many mods to list! Lots of power, torque and Leather!

1st Gear

Status
    Not at all... It does serve a purpose,and does what its men to do well.. What do you want?? a 32inch flat screen TV bolted to your A-piller??? lol...

Its no more dangerous than skipping through a cd,looking at a sat nav,or looking at a standard boost gauge..

Pound for pound,what it does,imho its a cracking bit of kit...

Pete...

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

Status
    im not disputing its a good bit of kit. and obviously a 32" is just a dumb arse thing to say! lol I just think something with such a tiny screen, with so much info on it is pointless. If it was just a tad bigger, (say the size of a tomtom) it would be better. Its like looking at a mobile phone screen mounted in ya vent..

cd`s you dont stare at, tomtoms you glance at, as do you a standerd gauge. in the time you have glanced at those 3 your eyes would of only just focused on such a small screen.

I like my toys and gadgets etc, but that is not somthing i would think of till they revised it.

Now to many mods to list! Lots of power, torque and Leather!

3rd Gear

Status
    does anyone know if the liquid gauges are interchangable between different vehicles?
    For example, if i bought one that had been used in a diesel leon it would work in my a3? are they all the same system, just different vents are used?

3rd Gear

Status
    Also, is there an alternative out there? with a bigger display as ALPINE said?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Plunky View Post
    does anyone know if the liquid gauges are interchangable between different vehicles?
    For example, if i bought one that had been used in a diesel leon it would work in my a3? are they all the same system, just different vents are used?
    The main difference is in the PCB used... round ones for cars like A3 8P and TT's etc, square PCB for S3's etc... all Liquids use the OBD port, the only real difference is funtionality varies across certian variants which is to do wiht the ECU's capabilities and sensors available to it... compatibility list and available functions are listed on the Race Diagnostics site...

In answer to the 'small screen' discussion, yes its small but no less difficult to read than any other 52mm gague IMO... I run both a mechanical boost gauge and the liquid and fine both as readable as each other as to be fair you only really glance at the thing anyway...

<tuffty/>

2002 S3 MTM Stg III 345bhp

Status
    If anyone else has the Liquid Race in their 8L S3's could they please post up a pic of how it looks once installed?

Tuffy. Could you please show me a photo of how the guage looks, the steering wheel in kinda in the way, just so I can see how good the finished product is?

Thanks!

Badger 5 Edition

Status