new head unit

I

imported_velcrobix

I need to replace my standard s3 (99) head unit (bose upgrade)because im suffering from the apparently common problem of a dodgy volume control that seems to either turn the volume to min, or to maximum with just one small adjustment.

Is it just a case of changing them over or does the the fact that it has the bose upgrade mean that is is not very compatable??

Also heard that Audi is the best place to get head units surrounds from -is this correct and how much would it be?

Got that fault with mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

With the fact I need a new CD changer I am now considering a headunit & changer package

Wouldn't go to Audi (££££) so would also be interested in, if concert h/u removed I guess aftermarket won't be a straight fit so where can you buy a surround from?

You'll need wiring adapters if you are only upgrading the HU. The Bose system uses a 4 channel amp for the cabin speakers and separate sub amp. These are delivered via mini ISO connectors on the HU, so you will need the Bose active wiring adapter to hook into this.
Adapters are all readily available from caraudiodirect and elsewhere.
The fasicia surrounds are all a bit crap, but the Audi ones are better than most. Don't, whatever you do, get the Autoleads ones, they are terrible.

are the amps seperate units?
will a new £120 - £150 head unithead unit sound any better/worse than the existing bose one

It will sound loads better. The existing HU is not Bose, it is an entry level Panasonic, with some Bose EQ settings programmed into it.
There is a 4 channel Bose amp in the right rear cubbyhole, and the sub amp is inside the tupperware box housing the "sub".