Tyre Choice For A Fast FWD Car...?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
After a weekend of track time with a few of my mates... one of the lads was having real problems with his Astra GSI.
Its a big turbo car running around 500 bhp , he hasnt got a posh diff and runs koni coil overs,
He was sliding out of bends and was unable to touch the power until completely straight. He was using Toyo 888's all round 215.45.17 tyres.
Is there anything out there better? Or is it just too much power for the set up?
Its ripped them to bits so its time to replace... he has about 200 a corner to spend.

He has avoided fitting a diff so far as its a road car too.

dont think there is anything better out there that you will notice a difference, i also had this problem with my corsa turbo and fitting an uprated diff was a good 600 pound spent. being able to go round corners alot quicker and not pulling to one side neither and putting one on a road car wouldnt make much difference especailly on a 500bhp car. mike

Yep Id go with the diff think of the cost of the diff as cutting the cost of amounts of tyres you have to buy

i cannot think of a better tyre than he is using. It a lot of power for the poor little car to deal with.

Stick a diff in it, you will not regret it

I spoke to him earlier,
He has had to stick his old wheels and yoko prada tyres on until he weighs up the options. he said either way its looking like a diff is needed. The "graining" on his 888's after only a 15min blast was shocking.
He mentioned thicker anti role bars too but was unsure if that would just put yet more stress on the mechanical grip of the tyres??

I think he dropped them to 26 psi instead of the 30 he uses day to day.
I didnt understand why at the time. but it makes sence now,

500 bhp fwd, ****** hell! Shouldn't be surprised that he can't floor it out of coners