Newbie - opinions on prospective purchase

Tezz

Reaction score
Hi, please could I have some advice/opinions!
I am considering buying an S reg/1998 A3 from a friend of a friend. It is a 1.6 petrol engine and done just over 100k miles and going quite cheap. Although everything checks out and there doesn't seem to be any obvious problems with the car, the fact it's done over a 100k miles is nagging at me! I have never owned an audi before and I know petrol engines generally don't last as long as diesels but wanted an idea whether 100k is near the end of its life span for an audi engine??
Thanks!!

Hi, please could I have some advice/opinions!
I am considering buying an S reg/1998 A3 from a friend of a friend. It is a 1.6 petrol engine and done just over 100k miles and going quite cheap. Although everything checks out and there doesn't seem to be any obvious problems with the car, the fact it's done over a 100k miles is nagging at me! I have never owned an audi before and I know petrol engines generally don't last as long as diesels but wanted an idea whether 100k is near the end of its life span for an audi engine??
Thanks!!

if at has been serviced correctly 100k on modern cars is fine imo

Just like most engines, it will be good if it has been looked after (Good service history). Audi VW engines good for 200K + miles.

My S3 has now done over 100k, engine is great - replacing coils/anti roll bars/thermostat/alternator/battery etc is the painful bit!
just be aware that the mileage will have taken it's toll on several components is all I'd say!