JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel

Question Who was running the 290+ bhp S3 at Santa Pod yesterday?

As the title says, who was running the 290+ bhp S3 at GTI Spring Fest yesterday? It's a Garrett GT28 turbo apparently.

Jay
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

Click here for more Troo-Pics!

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    there was the blue one with nos, but would have been more than 290bhp? thats the quickest s3 i saw run, think it was doing mid 12's iirc

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    what sort of times were being seen?
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Well my mate was running his stage 1 mapped Ibiza Cupra yesterday. It was the blue one with a fmic sitting on BBS RS style wheels. His actual words were.... 'i pi**ed all over him!!'

How the hell is that possible? LOL. He said he took him on the last 400 yards to go? It'd be nice for someone to clear this up please lol
    Last edited by DJ_Troopa; 12th April 2010 at 12:15.
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

6th Gear

Status
    12.2 if thats sambo's car

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    I thought they would have been a little quicker down the strip tbh, i know its all driver dependant and reaction, i would have had a go but did not want to blow it with the 360 mile round trip....

5th Gear

Status
    i got a 13.56 with a reaction time of 0.5 had a good launch though, held it at about 4250/4500 revs and didnt outright drop it but fed the clutch out quite rapidly (if that makes sense) and got hardly any spin just grip, whenever i just dropped it it seemed to take a while to divert power to the rear just span the fronts for a second, im just glad i didnt fail like that guy in the red diesel cupra stalled and then missed second lol

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    I thought they would have been a little quicker down the strip tbh, i know its all driver dependant and reaction, i would have had a go but did not want to blow it with the 360 mile round trip....
    excuses excuses

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny87 View Post
    i got a 13.56 with a reaction time of 0.5 had a good launch though, held it at about 4250/4500 revs and didnt outright drop it but fed the clutch out quite rapidly (if that makes sense) and got hardly any spin just grip, whenever i just dropped it it seemed to take a while to divert power to the rear just span the fronts for a second, im just glad i didnt fail like that guy in the red diesel cupra stalled and then missed second lol
    what spec is your engine?

Missing the S3

Status
    Most of the S3's I saw run did sub 15's mid 14's. The one thing that was clear was the S3's/quattro TT's could get the power down of the line with ease compared to most of the fwd cupras and golfs, no tyre sqeel, all go, you'd here a lot of the fwd spinning up in 2nd.

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Dunno what my mate is talking about then beating that S3 LOL. He said he spoke to the owner afterwards and the guy said its pushing 297bhp. Sounds like bag of poo IMO lol
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

Missing the S3

Status
    Must admit the TDI ibiza cupras I saw running were putting in some quick times, couldnt live with the cloud of black smoke coming out the back of them though.

[censored]

Status
    I had an 05 Leon FR diesel, chipped, went like a rocket...but oh yes...was there smoke!!!

Miss that car, out dragged a CTR mid range, soo much torque when chipped especially out of corners and gave me 52 to the gallon on a good run...hard to beat that really.

6th Gear

Status
    id much rather have more power than grip

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt82 View Post
    As would I. How often are you going to standing start on a motorway/private race track.

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Troopa View Post
    Dunno what my mate is talking about then beating that S3 LOL. He said he spoke to the owner afterwards and the guy said its pushing 297bhp. Sounds like bag of poo IMO lol
    Dyno lottery figures IMO.

5th Gear

Status
    Power without grip is useless, even on the strip.

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by JD09 View Post
    Dyno lottery figures IMO.
    Apparently the guy said its a GT28 turbo though. Still puzzles me on how a stage 1 Ibiza Cupra could ever beat it. Sounds like a fib but just wondering if anyone saw this?
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Power without grip is useless, even on the strip.
    no, really?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Troopa View Post
    Apparently the guy said its a GT28 turbo though. Still puzzles me on how a stage 1 Ibiza Cupra could ever beat it. Sounds like a fib but just wondering if anyone saw this?
    what times were they producing?

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

what times were they producing?
    My friend got a 14.1
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

6th Gear

Status
    highly doubt a stage one cupra was getting those times but you never know

5th Gear

Status
    no, really?
    Why say it then....makes no sense whatso ever!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Funny this, the 1/4 mile times and who crosses the line are 2 different things. A guy with a slower reaction time could do a 1/4miles quicker than the person who he's up against, even though he crossed the line after him. The 1/4 mile times are official on who is quickest, but the one who crosses the line first has the bragging rights until the next time.

Doesn't matter if it's an inch or a mile, winning is WINNING!
    Last edited by jojo; 12th April 2010 at 18:03.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

ROB.B

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    awww u girl :P i had a 420 mile round trip. as long as you dont completly ragg it. you would have been fine. my missus loved it haha

ROB.B

Status
    i had 5 runs and best i could get was 14.2 just couldnt break the 13 sec. gutted really.... thers always nxt time at gti inters :D

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie282 View Post
    awww u girl :P i had a 420 mile round trip. as long as you dont completly ragg it. you would have been fine. my missus loved it haha
    lol i took 4 other people down, i would have run like a girl if ihade to tell them they were hitch hiking home

Pat
    3rd Gear

Status
    I took mine to last one... quickest i did was 13.7 @110mph... that was launching at about 3,5k....... Def needs to be more as it was bogging down.. I`ll be there next time...

2002 S3, Project 400, New Build In Progress, I.E 2.0 stoker kit, Big Port AGU Head, Ferrea Valves retainers, springs etc, GT30 compact, Pagparts Manifold, AH Front Mount Version 2, Genesis 550cc Injectors, 044 Fuel pump in I.E Surge Tank, Revo Stage 3 Software, Porsche Brakes, work in progress

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie282 View Post
    i had 5 runs and best i could get was 14.2 just couldnt break the 13 sec. gutted really.... thers always nxt time at gti inters :D
    unless you have a bigger turbo I don't think you will I've been trying for 5 years !

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I took mine to last one... quickest i did was 13.7 @110mph... that was launching at about 3,5k....... Def needs to be more as it was bogging down.. I`ll be there next time...
    I've launched at 5k+ but it sounds awful and the wait for the lights to change seems to be forever but you have a turbo upgrade...clutch upgraded yet Pat ?

Pat
    3rd Gear

Status
    I aint had clutch in it... aint even got a clue whats in it if im honest... lol.. MTM own jobbie i guess

2002 S3, Project 400, New Build In Progress, I.E 2.0 stoker kit, Big Port AGU Head, Ferrea Valves retainers, springs etc, GT30 compact, Pagparts Manifold, AH Front Mount Version 2, Genesis 550cc Injectors, 044 Fuel pump in I.E Surge Tank, Revo Stage 3 Software, Porsche Brakes, work in progress

6th Gear

Status
    ^
    Revo is the answer
    Ibiza Cupra TDI

Gone:

Audi C5 RS 6 - Stage 2
    Audi 8L S3 - Revo'd

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    My friends stage 1 ibiza cupra got 14.4 at crail so I'd expect a better time at the pod.

As has been said reaction time isnt included in the overall time.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

5th Gear

Status
    what spec is your engine?
    vf34 turbo jabba mani dp miltek injectors, would imagine its a custom map but unsure

i can see how addictive the 1/4 mile really is, my last run i had a poo pants start, i was sure i could get a low 13s time and was sooo tempted to keep running untill i got the perfect launch and perfect reaction time but abusing a daily driver like that for the sake of a few numbers isnt worth it imo
    having said that might give it another go at inters lol

6th Gear

Status
    13.5-13.6s is quick and youre right about the strip being addictive.. you end up with a figure in your head that you want to acheive and you can get such a tunnel vision trying to achieve it. thats not easy with 4wd!
    vf34 turbo jabba mani dp miltek injectors, would imagine its a custom map but unsure

i can see how addictive the 1/4 mile really is, my last run i had a poo pants start, i was sure i could get a low 13s time and was sooo tempted to keep running untill i got the perfect launch and perfect reaction time but abusing a daily driver like that for the sake of a few numbers isnt worth it imo
    having said that might give it another go at inters lol

Reverse Gear

Status
    I was at the pod on Sunday with my black Ibiza Cupra TDI. Managed to run a 14.200 and was a bit gutted I couldn't get more traction as I felt like there were at least couple of tenths left in it!

There was a guy there with a red S3 which was looking lovely! Chatted to him a couple of times in the queue and he was saying that he had a subaru turbo and serious power. It certainly shifted down the strip. Wasn't you was it Jonny87? Mine is on a standard PD150 turbo but a couple of people were running hybrid PD150 turbos and got a 14.0 and a 13.8. All in all it was a good day out, although it was bloody freezing!
    Last edited by CupraOl; 13th April 2010 at 20:24.

Status
    yes that'd be jonny87 and yes it was freezing....still got podface though!

Belgium S3 driver

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CupraOl View Post
    I was at the pod on Sunday with my black Ibiza Cupra TDI. Managed to run a 14.200 and was a bit gutted I couldn't get more traction as I felt like there were at least couple of tenths left in it!

There was a guy there with a red S3 which was looking lovely! Chatted to him a couple of times in the queue and he was saying that he had a subaru turbo and serious power. It certainly shifted down the strip. Wasn't you was it Jonny87? Mine is on a standard PD150 turbo but a couple of people were running hybrid PD150 turbos and got a 14.0 and a 13.8. All in all it was a good day out, although it was bloody freezing!
    I had a Ibiza FR TDI with hybrid, FMIC, Milltek @ 220hp & 351lbs/ft and didn't get a better time then 14.5 . I think I could do better but it was hard to get the power down...very few traction.
    Tried once with full slicks but broke my diff with it.
    The S3 is a little slower (still stock) but gets the power down so much better.

Edit: this wasn't at Santa Pod btw but at a dragmeeting in Belgium, only 5 runs or so.
    Last edited by ikbenben; 13th April 2010 at 21:01.
    2002 S3 BAM Nogaro Blue | Navigation + | Bose SS
    Samco TIP | Forge DV 007p | R32 ARB's | Powerflex dogbone bushes | H&R monotube coilovers
    waiting for a remap

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CupraOl View Post

hello mate, yes that was me

hows your clutch holding out? made it back to sheffield ok?

my mates were ripping me because of the one run where you beat me, really shouldnt have told them it was a 200bhp denzel, il never live it down

4th Gear

Status
    I improved by 300 of a second, best time was 14.03 very close to crack the 13th but not close enough I guess! I must say I think it has taken the life out of the clutch though. loved it, and it is true got carried away and did 9 runs
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

Reverse Gear

Status
    hello mate, yes that was me

hows your clutch holding out? made it back to sheffield ok?

my mates were ripping me because of the one run where you beat me, really shouldnt have told them it was a 200bhp denzel, il never live it down
    Hi Mate

Was nice to meet you. Really liked your car and thought it sounded lovely. Brakes are huge too!

My clutch didn't like the second gear launch attempt, but I had to give it a go! I parked it up for an hour to let it cool down and then took it for a few more runs and it was fine?! A lad from our forum wasn't so lucky. I was passenger when we went for a run and sheared an engine mount changing from second to third. He had to take it on a low loader back to sheffield as the engine had dropped right down in the bay!

Sorry about that run, I just got a random start I think and then was off with smoke pouring out! It was clear that your car is quick as you were reeling me in towards the end of the strip! Nicely done on the mid 13's too - good times! I quite fancy an S3 as my next car. Just need to save for ages first!

Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    yes that'd be jonny87 and yes it was freezing....still got podface though!
    I also had podface, much to the amusement of everyone at work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast