re-drilling discs

SteveBAM

Black '03 S3
Reaction score
as you might know, I am in the process of upgrading my front brakes. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?92068-Brembo-Calipers&p=958553
with my new Evo X calipers that i bought from ebay in, I have been looking to find a set of rotors so I can send them off to have adapters made for the calipers to sit in place.

Im looking for a set of disc's between 340-350mm and the only thing I can find which wont cost me an arm and a leg is drilled 345mm rotors from the MKV R32 golf and 8P S3 which are for 5x112 hubs.

now my question is, would there be any issues if I re-drilled the rotors to 5x100 to fit to 5x100 hubs?

thanks
Steve

Considering most aftermarket replica wheels and spacers are typically multi drilled to fit both 5x100 and 5x112 then in theory it can be done.... I wouldn't get it done by anything other than a machine shop though....

Sadly there isn't an awful lot of stuff that will be cheap when you start going to that size of discs...

Bill's 2-piece stuff isn't that badly price comparatively and the 330mm setup I have is more than adequate to pull an S3 to a halt... pretty sure they work out cheaper long term than R32 brakes too..

<tuffty/>

There may be a strength difference as I guess the holes are normally cast and then cleaned to size, drilling should be ok but may weaken the area

Considering most aftermarket replica wheels and spacers are typically multi drilled to fit both 5x100 and 5x112 then in theory it can be done.... I wouldn't get it done by anything other than a machine shop though....

Sadly there isn't an awful lot of stuff that will be cheap when you start going to that size of discs...

Bill's 2-piece stuff isn't that badly price comparatively and the 330mm setup I have is more than adequate to pull an S3 to a halt... pretty sure they work out cheaper long term than R32 brakes too..

<tuffty/>

yes if i go down the road of having to machine them i will take them to a good machine shop i know to get them done..
i was considering Bills 2-piece I'm sure they are of good quality and are more than enough to put an S3 to a stop but i am mostly going for the looks and that's why im going for 340+ so i can cover as much of the inside of my rims as possible. I haven't crossed them out yet, ill see how it goes...:icon_thumright:

I would recommend against it as the disc will have to be balanced after. So a two peice disc and bell kit would be better.

The holes are drilled into discs not cast.

Callum