What does this pipe do!? Part number please

finesse

Reaction score
Went on a mission to try and solve the dreaded 17705 and 17545 error, no apparent split or perished pipes/hoses, but found this. What is it? There was a strong smell of fuel when the window was down, but now its gone... after I "secured" the hose back with insulation tape:hi:

Next to the coolant tank

1zvreo.jpg

1z2dtsn.jpg

1. Part number please (pipe)?
2. Would this broken/lose pipe contribute to the boost leak / running rich?
3. The part labelled 1, is it meant to be elevated? Seems lose but didn't want to break it

No access to vagcom at the moment....

2001 AMK

John

Last edited:
my thought was charcoal chamber as this would explain the fuel smell and it looks similar to mine, but from the photos its in a different position to mine so not sure

you got s3 or a3, what year?

its possible that they revised and relocated the charcoal chamber for amk's and bam's, someone else will be able to yay or nay this

if it is indeed what i think it is then it wouldnt cause a boost leak, unsure if it would contribute to rich mixture, chamber only filters fuel fumes to dump to atmosphere (as far as i can make out anyway, not done much research on it)

Charcoal filter was my thoughts when saw the pics too.

I would agree and suspect breather by the looks.
IIRC the supply and return fuel lines to the fuel rail are well clamped rubber hoses whereas rthis looks more like plastic tube.
Follow it round, should go to your wing then curve towards front of car and go to black square box (charcoal filter housing).
If it is that hose then going by vagcat the part no is 1J0201160D.

its a bit of a close up, but it looks like the charcoal/evap canister

Finger crossed, this leads to the running rich issue.... if it is the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System

vx0nqh.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, i would say charcoal canister, i traced a pipe from the intake mani around the back of the engine and back to a black box next to the coolant expansion tank, i assumed it was the charcoal canister. And it looked like that black box in your pic, mines AMK

thanks Cook! Lets hope this errors goes away

Highlighted "1" should that be lose?

Last edited:
Good luck finding the 17705. I have had this code pop up every now and again. The old Pressure Drop check DV! I have checked all visible pipes, however there are a few that you just can't get a good look or feel round so no doubt it is one of those. All you can do is secure all relevant pipework you see and tighten up some clamps, clear the error run it for a few miles and the error pops back up! Bah

Good luck finding the 17705. I have had this code pop up every now and again. The old Pressure Drop check DV! I have checked all visible pipes, however there are a few that you just can't get a good look or feel round so no doubt it is one of those. All you can do is secure all relevant pipework you see and tighten up some clamps, clear the error run it for a few miles and the error pops back up! Bah

Thanks fella, "baaah" is my exact response too.

oh sorry, i'll have a quick look at 1

EDIT: my black box thing is in front of the expansion tank and only has 2 pipes leading to/from it.

maybe a different one.

Last edited:
Finesse, have you sorted that pipe. How does your car run fuel and performance wise.

Hi Finesse,

That broken hose runs from the black box in your picture to the black box that i thought you were talking about was talking about, nevermind

Anyway, I took a look at the correct black box last night, and yes, part 1 is that loose on mine as well.

Nattie, I have not driving much so I cant tell. The smell is gone. So check yours.