Can I remove this part?

beachbuggy

Reaction score
On my A3 1.8t AGU the pipe running to the Diverter comes from under the intake manifold, Directly.

On my other A3 1.8t Quattro AJQ the pipe running to the Diverter comes from what looks like a solenoid ( picture below ) which also has what I can only assume is an accumilator attached to the rocker cover. This then goes to the Inlet Manifold.

I can only guess that the combination of the Accumilator and solenoid helps with the Diverter vaccum, However it all looks pretty pointless and as it's not on the AGU engine would like remove it.

Just for a bit of history I bought this car with a blown turbo, which when I stripped it down had snapped the shaft clean in two. Having taken the engine apart I noticed one these little tubes that run from the solenoid to Diverter had perished clean in two, and so I can only assume the Diverter wasn't working and the build up in back pressure caused the compressor to stall and break the shaft. Would explain how the Turbo died.

I have seen the "How To's" on removing the SAI, and noticed that this vaguely similar but as I don't have an SAI on the AJQ engine don't know for sure whether I can just remove the piping, plug the Diverter into the inlet manifold and then use a resistor?!?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry.
Would help> Dohhh

Here we go
IMG00077-20100410-1457.jpg

Think welly has done a post on removal of this. Just search removal of N249. My S3 doesnt have that valve which you have shown but its mentioned in his thread. It all basically give the ecu control of the dump valve, and a means of controlling the power on traction control. Some say bypassing give a more direct line to dumpvalve and makes it more responsive

looks like the a3 n249 may differ from the s3, well i dont remember that many hoses coming off mine when i removed it

as above search for wellys guide and then see if yours is any different or its just me and my lack of memory lol