Stupid Cup Holder

S3 Marky P

Reaction score
Hi Guys

This is prob a stupid question but i hav a 2001 s3, in which is the worlds most stupid mug/cup holder it keeps jamming every time (you know what its like you go to mc dy and order a large coke and big mac and u just look like a nob fighting with ur cup holder in the middle of the drive throu :keule: ) i think it just needs to be taken out and cleaning the springs ect, can any one advise me on how to remove it??? many thanks

the black gloss trim surrounding it will just clip off if you get a small screwdriver behind the outside edge...the cup holder will then slide out as a cassette allowing you to clean it :)

Just bang the side of the centre console and it should pop out. Then spray it with WD40 and give it a good wipe down and it'll be good as new.

Lol, i had a vision of you in a drive through swearing at your cup holder for a second!

you can slide a credit card between the cup holder and trim and rock it out slowly. also keep pressing on the cup holder as sometimes when it is stuck the release mechanism is not activated. i just wrap some fishing wire around it for now and can pull it open when i need!

Just bang the side of the centre console and it should pop out. Then spray it with WD40 and give it a good wipe down and it'll be good as new.

Definitely agree with you! Mine had a soft drink spilt on it before my time - WD40 sorted it right out.

I wouldn't spray WD40 on any plastics. A lot of plastics will soften over a period when they have been sprayed with it. We used to spray plastic tuner bushes with it at work until we found a year later the plastic had broken up and softened. Try it on the same material first other wise I would take the unit out and clean it correctly

Silicone spray or Back to Black type stuff will work well.

I actually used Mr Sheen on mine.

or just remove the cassette and clean it with WATER....its this wonderful substance and will cause less grief than everything mentioned above :)

Water might cause rust? As there is metal parts in it?

However I took the black trim off, cassette out, had it cleaned and then I had some silicone superglider spray laying about so I used some of that. Works like a charm now.

10 min job