1.8t boost level?

2pac

E3 APC
Reaction score
Whats the standard boost pressure on the A3 1.8T, and S3, if different. I noticed someone on here had a ''1.4bar upgrade'' from one tuner. Compared to the jap cars I'm used too this is quite high and would require a very carefully set up fuel and boost controller arrrangment or even a seperate fuel managment system. I'm of the understanding these engine are VERY strong!

.5-.6 is about average.

1.4 bar on a standard audi turbo would melt it in no time at all.

You need a big turbo an big intercooler for that level of boost.

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
1.4 bar on a standard audi turbo would melt it in no time at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean all Audi turbos or just the A3 ones (K03 & K03s) as i know that most chipped S3's (K04) run at least 1.4 bar of boost!!

Mark

im running spikes of 15psi then dropping off to 13 psi on my chipped a4. if its any help, its been chipped for over a year and nothing has melted yet..

mines set to around 12-13 psi, standard is around 6 psi on an a3

some s3's run 1.7 bar although not to redline, they all tend to drop to around 1 bar because the turbo can't hold the boost.Thats why you can't get much more 270bhp out of a k04 s3.The engines have forged pistons and a v.strong crank,the weak link are the con-rods which fail when severly pushed,hope that helps.

S3's have Forged pistons as standard, nice one. What about internal specs of the a3 1.8t. I heard they are strong enough to take twice there power, or is this person gettin mixed up with the S3 specs.

I've never heard of a chipped car that looses 0.7 bar boost because the turbo can't hold it. Thats quite a dip in power. Is this not a fault with the map of the chip rather than a weak turbo. I'd hate it if my car lost that much boost

The turbo is just too small to hold the boost in the higher rpm range,you'll find alot of guys here running up to 1.7 bar but like i said it will be nearer 1 bar at redline.
standard a3 1.8t's don't have forged pistons but still have strong internals,in fact some have better flowing heads than the s3 but the weak con-rods are still present.

[ QUOTE ]
The turbo is just too small to hold the boost in the higher rpm range,you'll find alot of guys here running up to 1.7 bar but like i said it will be nearer 1 bar at redline.
standard a3 1.8t's don't have forged pistons but still have strong internals,in fact some have better flowing heads than the s3 but the weak con-rods are still present.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one, some good info there. Good to no if I eva want more power it will take it

not standard it shouldnt.

S3 boost is only 0.9 bar standard... with the bigger K04 turbo.

[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
not standard it shouldnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats right, its been remapped, no idea what it was as standard though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

remapped is the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif